+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recomend me a soldering station

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've been tempted to try one of the many el cheapo Chinese soldering stations available nowadays but the thing that put's me off is the likelihood of being unable to obtain new bits, elements etc in maybe only 2 years time...
    I bought one of the Chinese copies of the hakko soldering stations, it didn't see the first day out

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I'd stick with Weller. I use the bomb-proof 50 Watt WTCP 51 soldering station with a massive choice of relatively cheap tips (RS components sell them). The tip choice changes the temperature using a magnetic strength system (as the tip heats up and reaches temperature, the magnetism decreases so shutting off the magnetic switch in the iron and killing the electric supply until it cools slightly). It's a clever and reliable system.

The elements rarely go on these. I know someone who has used one for donkeys years without any failures. I had an issue with mine which I traced to a wiring fault. 10 minutes later it was repaired and working again.

50 watts is a good tip to use as it ensures sufficient heat availability even with large truncated conical tips, without excessive heat loss through heat sinking into work. It means shorter contact time for more rapid soldering which can be important on some delicate jobs. You can get away with much less though and even a 20 or 25 watt iron will do mostly what you need.
    What he said

I used cheap Antex for years but the switch to Weller has been stunning, especially with lead free solder.
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Nathan.

I used to love Weller stations. The one I used for years died. The next two didn't didn't survive a year between them. That's what finally pushed me to the Hakko.

I never use lead free solder. There are people that do board work with a gun. Having a nice tool makes it easier, but practice makes you good at it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Dimitris.

Yep
    Practice, a clean 2-3mm chisel tip at the right temperature and .5mm leaded solder
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Nathan.

That's where I ended up after years of trial and error.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

Another vote to stay with Weller, spares will always be ready available.

I'm Phil.

After much consideration I purchased the hakko 888d , I had a go at tinning the ends of some klotz mc5000 wires, set temp to 250c and I managed to
    do this without melting the insulation which has been a problem in the past unless ive used wire with ptfe insulation , this has put me off making interconnects , hopefully with a bit practice I can improve . phil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil.

I'm Dimitris.

Solid choice

What tips did you buy?
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Bruce.

Last week I was reading some good reviews on the Antex 50w TCS variable and beginning to think about giving it a go.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

danilo Guest

Lusted after a decent Weller station for years.
    Always thinking that I don't /won't do enough solder melting to bother/need one.
    So I keep using my 45 yr old Weller Craftsman 25 watt pencil. Last week had to solder some TINY smd bits: an IC, resistors and Leds about the size of a speck of Dandruff onto an 8mm square PCB.
    Had to use 2 pair of glasses and a light/work lens just to see the damned things. A tough slog.
    Weller worked Fine though.. Fairly neat job of it too... mercifully.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast