Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royd Minstrel - What amplification are you using?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Richie.

Default Royd Minstrel - What amplification are you using?

Hi all,

I spend a bit of time away from home, so have decided to put together a vinyl system to listen to in my country estate (it's actually an annexe at my in-laws...). Currently a Chromecast Audio feeding an Amptastic and out a pair of (temperamental) Mordant Short MS10s, it has been a fairly decent set up for listening to Spotify and have been happy with it. However, I have a Michell Focus one, that I was going to sell on, but have decided to keep that and have a vinyl set up.

The Amptastic doesn't have a phono stage and the MS10s (as good as they were) have seen better days. I have always wanted to get myself a pair of Minstrels after hearing a pair of them in a record shop a while back and liking them.

So I have had my eyes peeled for a cheap pair of Minstrels, and some came up on another forum, so I am interested in an amp that can replace the Amptastic with a couple of inputs and (more importantly) a good phono stage. I have looked around and there is a bit of chat about NVA/Ion/Nytech being a good match, and someone said Quad 33/303.

As they are fairly popular, I just thought i'd ask the question and see if anyone had any recommendations/or anything they are willing to part with. I reckon £100-£150 id a good range, perhaps more for the right thing.

All feedback welcome.

I'm Grant.

Could just get a phono stage and stick with what you have. Plenty decent ones around for not too much. Although some amps do have good phonos, most are nothing special imv.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richie.

yeah, i did think about that. i guess i would be then looking at a sub £100 phono. would mean two boxes and only one input, but neither is a problem.

I'm Grant.

A little more and you can get one of these imported from usa amazon.... stonking phono amp.best ive used imo

https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio...=Emotiva+phono
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    Hi all,

I spend a bit of time away from home, so have decided to put together a vinyl system to listen to in my country estate (it's actually an annexe at my in-laws...). Currently a Chromecast Audio feeding an Amptastic and out a pair of (temperamental) Mordant Short MS10s, it has been a fairly decent set up for listening to Spotify and have been happy with it. However, I have a Michell Focus one, that I was going to sell on, but have decided to keep that and have a vinyl set up.

The Amptastic doesn't have a phono stage and the MS10s (as good as they were) have seen better days. I have always wanted to get myself a pair of Minstrels after hearing a pair of them in a record shop a while back and liking them.

So I have had my eyes peeled for a cheap pair of Minstrels, and some came up on another forum, so I am interested in an amp that can replace the Amptastic with a couple of inputs and (more importantly) a good phono stage. I have looked around and there is a bit of chat about NVA/Ion/Nytech being a good match, and someone said Quad 33/303.

As they are fairly popular, I just thought i'd ask the question and see if anyone had any recommendations/or anything they are willing to part with. I reckon £100-£150 id a good range, perhaps more for the right thing.

All feedback welcome.
    You'd be needing to spend a bit more for NVA but seems to be well liked with Royd speakers.

Maybe if you're looking for a amp with a decent phono stage and some power within your price range an older Rega, Arcam or Sony might fit the bill.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A little more and you can get one of these imported from usa amazon.... stonking phono amp.best ive used imo

https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio...=Emotiva+phono
    Cheers. That seems like the easiest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    You'd be needing to spend a bit more for NVA but seems to be well liked with Royd speakers.

Maybe if you're looking for a amp with a decent phono stage and some power within your price range an older Rega, Arcam or Sony might fit the bill.
    It looks like you are right about the NVA stuff, although I appear to have missed an integrated recently that is in budget.

I'm Rich.

Cheers. That seems like the easiest solution.

It looks like you are right about the NVA stuff, although I appear to have missed an integrated recently that is in budget.
    With a phono stage? They're pretty uncommon for NVA who sell a separate phono stage.

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    With a phono stage? They're pretty uncommon for NVA who sell a separate phono stage.
    this is what i found:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-AP30-i...EAAOSwNnRYfTuI

I'm Nathan.

That should get you going. I've never messed with an NVA.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Rich.

Interesting, must be an older model as the newer ones don't have the phono stage built in. Before pulling the trigger on this I'd suggest you get in touch with NVA to see if they will still service the amp if necessary and ensure it is still within specification.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast