+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable differences

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Ditto! I am using Nuprime STA-9 power amps in monoblock mode into Magneplanar 1.7 speakers. The speaker cables are 75cm and I will probably shorten them further once I turn a pile of cut 18mm MDF parts into a plinth for the Maggies into which the STA-9s will fit. I recently bought a pair of LyxPro XLR cables from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound with the XLRs was cleaner and louder (for any given volume setting) with the XLRs. The already low noise floor seemed to disappear. The LyxPro cables are well made but very cheap. I cannot imagine what i would have paid to get an equivalent pair of RCA interconnects of the same length.

Geoff
    Something about XLRs...
    Spent a lot of time, effort (and money unfortunately) looking into the best digital hookup to my Dac?

Expensive glass medical opticals, USB's and uber American coaxial cables (Siltec and the like) later...settled on XLR as the best sounding digital connction to my Dac.
    And digital ISN'T 1's and 0's....so any old cable wont cut it, 1.5m or otherwise....like most other hifi related things quality will out.

A journey, but I got there.
    Just my experience?

Got digital? If you can XLR all the way...
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-02-2017 at 23:12.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Something about XLRs...
    Spent a lot of time, effort (and money unfortunately) looking into the best digital hookup to my Dac?

Expensive glass medical opticals, USB's and uber American coaxial cables (Siltec and the like) later...settled on XLR as the best sounding digital connction to my Dac.
    And digital ISN'T 1's and 0's....so any old cable wont cut it, 1.5m or otherwise....like most other hifi related things quality will out.

A journey, but I got there.
    Just my experience?

Got digital? If you can XLR all the way...
    Does your source output AES, or are you sending spdif over an XLR cable?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Outputs AES
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Some food for thought: https://www.lifewire.com/speaker-cab...rences-3134603

I'm still sceptical, especially as I don't believe one can hear a low-Q 'resonance' of 0.3dB in amplitude. And I don't think anyone would advocate using 24AWG size cables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
    Interesting, and to expand on this, please see some thoughts from LFD:

---

However, I’ve not talked about the subjective “time response” of single or a multistrand cable.

Which means what exactly?

A: Unfortunately it appears that a single strand cable seems to “ring ” at a particular frequency (related to its diameter) and has a fast decay. Whereas multistrand cables on the other hand, again “rings” at a particular frequency (related to the diameter of the strands), but the ringing is much longer in duration. I believe that neither cable solution is correct, since the fast decay of single strands tends to lead to subjective comments like: tight, fast sound, but not rich or warm. Whereas a multistrand cable can often sound: warm, slow with some smearing. I must point out that copper is much easier to work with, since its subjective “frequency response” is wider than that of silver for comparable single strand conductors. That is why many silver cables appear to sound not quite right, sometimes they might be a little bright or coloured.

---

Full article here: https://audiophiledotwordpressdotcom...versus-copper/
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dimitris.

It's such pseudo-science that gives cables the nasty reputation.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Interesting, and to expand on this, please see some thoughts from LFD:

---

However, I’ve not talked about the subjective “time response” of single or a multistrand cable.

Which means what exactly?

A: Unfortunately it appears that a single strand cable seems to “ring ” at a particular frequency (related to its diameter) and has a fast decay. Whereas multistrand cables on the other hand, again “rings” at a particular frequency (related to the diameter of the strands), but the ringing is much longer in duration. I believe that neither cable solution is correct, since the fast decay of single strands tends to lead to subjective comments like: tight, fast sound, but not rich or warm. Whereas a multistrand cable can often sound: warm, slow with some smearing. I must point out that copper is much easier to work with, since its subjective “frequency response” is wider than that of silver for comparable single strand conductors. That is why many silver cables appear to sound not quite right, sometimes they might be a little bright or coloured.

---

Full article here: https://audiophiledotwordpressdotcom...versus-copper/
    Presumably silver coloured and shiny bright!

I'm Dimitris.

If you want an indication about "coloration" based on brightness, a bright cable colors less.

The filters that cables create are low-pass, since capacitance appears across the wires (not in series with them), and inductance appears in series.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    It's such pseudo-science that gives cables the nasty reputation.
    No, what gives cables the 'nasty reputation' is that no one can scientifically explain why they sound different unless there are wildly different LCR values, or if the amp needs ultra-low capacitance speaker cable (like NVA, early Exposure & Naim). This is why there are many hardened engineers out there who embrace the subjective, and focus on sound quality over theory.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nathan.

Is that article about piano wire? He's probably right about the 6th nine being a waste.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    No, what gives cables the 'nasty reputation' is that no one can scientifically explain why they sound different unless there are wildly different LCR values, or if the amp needs ultra-low capacitance speaker cable (like NVA, early Exposure & Naim). This is why there are many hardened engineers out there who embrace the subjective, and focus on sound quality over theory.
    Embracing empirical evidence is something I do myself regularly.
    Hardly an engineer (not even close), but I can appreciate how we need to keep an open mind when we cannot explain things that we observe.

It's the guesswork and sprinkling of technical terms that makes me suspicious.
    For example, there is no need to put "subjective" before bandwidth. Bandwidth can be measured easily up to many MHz. Same with time response and ringing. If the author talks about something different, then he should not use those terms at all because they are confusing and they only work as marketing.

Claiming that some things cannot be explained is not an arguement. It is a reason not to present an unverifiable hypothesis in the first place.

It is such things that feed the hardcore engineers that need to explain everything with ohm's law.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast