+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loving My New LV Auditoriums

I'm Richard.

So glad you like them Bev, as I said before, I have the IBX-R2s, and I think they'll be my final speaker too (I do have others (Q Acoustics in another room). I find them very smooth and well-behaved. Some may say a bit too 'polite'. I find them revealing, but at high volumes I do find there's bit of bass boom - some of this is because they are on wooden floorboards with a metre of air space underneath . Have you played with their position? With rear- facing ports they shouldn't be put in the corners of rooms and some US website recommended that they should be set 40 inches from the wall - a bit difficult in my case.

I also find - like so many other speakers - that the tweeter is very directional and for best results one's ears must be in-line (or slightly off-axis) with the tweeters. The tweeters are off-set from the mid-line of the box as you know; the tweeters should be on the 'inside'.

The owner of LV recommends some very esoteric Kondo cable and valve amps - but also Class A amps such as the Sugden range. My Quad 306s seem to drive them fine (they are Class A before the 'current-dumping stage' takes over.)

So glad you like them. Do you find speaker cables make a difference?

BW

R
    Last edited by Bonky; 06-02-2017 at 19:00. Reason: Added an afterthought

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Actually, I know quite a few people who have stopped box-swapping after getting LVs. If they gel with the room, they are pretty convincing. OTOH, there are always the 'better' LVs to be sampled
    I think Al is pretty much against anything I add to my system but that's fine by me as it's my system and my ears and we are all different

They certainly do seem to gel in my room Peter and I can't see me wanting to do any more box-swapping at the moment.... but as you say there are better LV's to be sampled which I might do after a while, but quite a while I reckon before I do so
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Keep an eye on the carpet under the slabs Bev. The slabs will definitely have some residual moisture in them and that can rot organic materials.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    So glad you like them Bev, as I said before, I have the IBX-R2s, and I think they'll be my final speaker too (I do have others (Q Acoustics in another room). I find them very smooth and well-behaved. Some may say a bit too 'polite'. I find them revealing, but at high volumes I do find there's bit of bass boom - some of this is because they are on wooden floorboards with a metre of air space underneath . Have you played with their position? With rear- facing ports they shouldn't be put in the corners of rooms and some US website recommended that they should be set 40 inches from the wall - a bit difficult in my case.

I also find - like so many other speakers - that the tweeter is very directional and for best results one's ears must be in-line (or slightly off-axis) with the tweeters. The tweeters are off-set from the mid-line of the box as you know; the tweeters should be on the 'inside'.

The owner of LV recommends some very esoteric Kondo cable and valve amps - but also Class A amps such as the Sugden range. My Quad 306s seem to drive them fine (they are Class A before the 'current-dumping stage' takes over.)

So glad you like them. Do you find speaker cables make a difference?

BW

R
    Hi Richard
    Your LV's are much further up the LV range than my humble Auditoriums so I can only imagine how good they must sound

I would agree with you when you say they are very smooth and well-behaved and I guess some people might say they are 'polite' but I definitely find them revealing enough to let the music shine

As I don't listen to my system at very high volumes I am not suffering from any bass boom but as you say it might be because of your suspended wooden floorboards, maybe try my method of a plinth and bitumen under the speakers instead of any spikes, they sound super like that in my system

As far as positioning is concerned to be honest I just 'plonked' (technical term!!) them down and towed them in a fair bit and they seem very happy with that placement

I cannot place them 40 inches from the back wall so I have them only about 30cm from the back wall and very near to the corners of the room and by accident my tweeters are on the 'inside'

I am aware that LV recommend some pretty expensive Kondo amps which I could never afford but my 300b seems to like them

As far as speaker cable goes I've been through loads of them with other speakers but I always come back the the TQ Ultra Blacks as being the best I've ever heard, in fact using UB's was like upgrading my amp/cd/dac
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Keep an eye on the carpet under the slabs Bev. The slabs will definitely have some residual moisture in them and that can rot organic materials.
    Thanks Geoff for the tip, I know exactly what you mean about the moisture

I guess, as I have plenty of it, I could also place some bitumen under the plinths as well
    Bev

I'm Neil.

I know a guy, who has a pair of LVs same as yours, OperaAudio Cyber 100S signature valve amplifier and a Gyrodeck and the combination is stunning. First time I got to hear a pair in a domestic setting and I can see exactly why folks love them, very musical.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I know a guy, who has a pair of LVs same as yours, OperaAudio Cyber 100S signature valve amplifier and a Gyrodeck and the combination is stunning. First time I got to hear a pair in a domestic setting and I can see exactly why folks love them, very musical.
    Neil was it my Auditoriums your guy has or the more upmarket one's Richard has?

Whichever LV's he has 'musical' is exactly how I would describe them

They probably don"t have the best lows or the best highs but a very balanced sound that is super smooth and you can listen for literally hours with no fatigue..
    Bev

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Neil was it my Auditoriums your guy has or the more upmarket one's Richard has?

Whichever LV's he has 'musical' is exactly how I would describe them

They probably don"t have the best lows or the best highs but a very balanced sound that is super smooth and you can listen for literally hours with no fatigue..
    Ones you have Bev. Beautiful tone, imaging and nicely articulate bass.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Ones you have Bev. Beautiful tone, imaging and nicely articulate bass.
    Oky doky Neil

I may well be tempted to try some LV's further up the range at some point but not for a while yet as I just love them to bits... super smoothies they are and I would also describe them as very natural sounding

One of my better, and least expensive, upgrades

They seem to love the 300b's
    Bev

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Oky doky Neil

I may well be tempted to try some LV's further up the range at some point but not for a while yet as I just love them to bits... super smoothies they are and I would also describe them as very natural sounding

One of my better, and least expensive, upgrades
    I struggle to listen to most traditional box construction speakers these days, the box colorations are very obvious to my ears. My Anthony Gallos don't have traditional cabinets so no cabinet coloration. The LVs while they have a little, manage to transcend these and produce lovely music.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast