+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old shyte and stuff

I'm gone.

You do need to have those dual concentric drivers pointing to ear level, ime.
    You can achieve this either by raising the cabinets or by tilting the cabinet back, or a subtle combination of the two.
    Different sounds from each approach. You have to try it and see which you prefer, I think.

If you have overblown bass issues then raising them is probably the way to go.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    If you have overblown bass issues then raising them is probably the way to go.
    Acoustic foam port bungs can be useful too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

No I hate those bungs. Just get the speakers out away from the walls as much as is practical, and as Jerry says, get the centre of the DC driver at ear height.

Not surprised they blow the Missions away, they are bloody good speakers. Husband of a work colleague has some he is not using anymore, I've been trying to get him to sell them to me for years now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No I hate those bungs.
    Depends on the room and speakers. Bungs definitely helped with my Dynaudios.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

I generally have my speakers lightly bunged with acoustic material - it controls a noticeable bass resonance pretty much perfectly.

I'm Anto.

Thanks folks !!
    The thing that was going through my head this morning as I drove around and around the cubicle shed scraping up after the cows , was possibly how lucky I have been by not going down the route of buying older classic speakers that really are in need of a refurb , (which in itself can be a moneypit )!!

I had fancied some Celestion Dittons and some Goodmans Magnums and some Kef someat or others , in the past yr or 2 but ,usually got outbid on the Bay of Pigs , so having dropped on these was a bit lucky . I halfheartedly bobbed the first starting bid in at £84 and was not bothered if I got them really . But did!!!
    35 miles away and a vendor who was absolutely a top guy , and had cared for them like babies . I dont think they had seen much service . He even gave me the receipt from Peters Hifi and Tv in Chester , bought in 1999 for £270.
    Maybe old enough to be better build quality but new enough to not need any attention ?
    I wonder just what similar quality ones would cost now , 18 years later
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post

I wonder just what similar quality ones would cost now , 18 years later
    I don't think you would see much change from £1500.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The only Tannoy with a single 6" dual concentric in the affordable Revolution series is the XT6, which is a shorter stand mounting speaker, costing around £600 per pair. The next model up, the XT6F is a floorstander using an additional 6" bass driver below the DC unit, these are £1000.

Your 635B's use a similar driver to the i6 AW and the rather sought after System 600 monitor. It's a very nice sounding unit.

I'm gone.

oh ... and photos needed or you are just making all this up.

I'm Anto.

Having a tidy up
    Oh , and I need another photo hosting site ,as my phurtbucket one probably wants a ransom
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast