+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valve System 2017

I'm Martin.

You've certainly been on a rolling offensive with this set up recently, Shaun. Agree with your comments about the Achromat. It is the only mat of those I have tried that improves the sound rather than just changing it.

Why did you go for the B&W? Did you consider other options?
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

I'm Shaun.

Martin, I considered mini monitors like the Sterling Broadcast Monitor and also the B&W CM1 but decided I just couldn't live with the lack of low bass. I heard the CM1's at a local hi-fi dealer and really loved their sound but was swayed towards the CM8's by the same dealer. It quickly became apparent that this dealer didn't have any in stock and was expecting me to order and pay for them without even hearing them so I left and went to the dealer I eventually bought them off. Given that I liked my old Kef's so much, I did also seriously consider the KEF R500's but I now think I made the correct decision.
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace deck - Funk Firm Achromat - Origin Live Onyx tonearm - Denon DL103
    Marantz CD6005 into an Audiolab M-DAC latest Lake West firmware

Prima Luna Prologue 3 preamplifier - Rothwell MC Headamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired loudspeaker cables
    Atlas Hyper MkII interconnects
    QED Reference Audio 40 on phono stages

I'm Shaun.

I also listened to floostanders by Dali but their treble was just too extreme.
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace deck - Funk Firm Achromat - Origin Live Onyx tonearm - Denon DL103
    Marantz CD6005 into an Audiolab M-DAC latest Lake West firmware

Prima Luna Prologue 3 preamplifier - Rothwell MC Headamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired loudspeaker cables
    Atlas Hyper MkII interconnects
    QED Reference Audio 40 on phono stages

I'm Russell.

A beautiful system! I'm sure it is everything you say it is. I may be building a second system with tubes. But your last purchase for 2017? The year is young! Never say never. I'm sure your 'table and arm could make great use of a more expensive cartridge. I myself am thinking hard on a low output moving coil. Do you own a record cleaning machine? I waited 30 years to buy one. And now I don't think I could life without it. My Pro-Ject VS-C has made a greater improvement in vinyl playback than my last cartridge upgrade! Even brand new records seem to benefit from a vacuum cleaning.

But I agree, every now and then, we need to concentrate on our music collections, and that's hard to do when monies keep buying new gear.

But your rig looks awesome, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Martin, I considered mini monitors like the Sterling Broadcast Monitor and also the B&W CM1 but decided I just couldn't live with the lack of low bass. I heard the CM1's at a local hi-fi dealer and really loved their sound but was swayed towards the CM8's by the same dealer. It quickly became apparent that this dealer didn't have any in stock and was expecting me to order and pay for them without even hearing them so I left and went to the dealer I eventually bought them off. Given that I liked my old Kef's so much, I did also seriously consider the KEF R500's but I now think I made the correct decision.
    These people are crazy. It is a wonder they make any sales at all.

I think you made the right decision sticking with bigger boxes; if the room is suitable then there is no good reason not to go large.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123