+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Hawthorn Audio SS Duets

I'm Alan.

Default FS: Hawthorn Audio SS Duets

Ok this is the first lot of my hifi for sale, these were the most expensive versions minus the silly money capacitors, the obligatos were an option to save a bit of cash but they still cost nearly £100! The alpha core inductors will cost $266 to ship from Madisound. resistors are Mills and the Air core is Solen. I had many ideas to make the baffles look nicer but they ended up staying bare MDF, the drivers are flush with the front and I chamfered the cut outs, the drivers are also mounted on separate pieces of 25mm MDF which is decoupled from the main baffle, I basically built them using the designers guide. The silver stuff on the drivers is sound deadening material. I mounted the crossover on the tweeter with silicone and zip ties, not pretty sorry but i believe short signal paths are more important than component isolation. I cant remember how much these things cost but Im looking for £500, the price is for the drivers only, my baffles are FOC because you may want to re design your own. No postage offered on these so cash on collection/inspection, I live in Woolhampton which is 15mins off the M4 JNC12. My new speakers cost someone £1800 to build, I am having a real hard time listening to boxy bass again but they look a thousand times better and they have the approval of my better half. Just to be up front, these OB's took a great deal of time to set up in my room before they completely disappeared but disappear they did and they have given me many many hours of pleasure, I ran them as front channels for 5.1 but the Auggies where hardly ever turned on because I live in a rented house and its not detached, the bass could shake my sofa as though it had subs under my arse, I will miss this for the odd occasion I could use it.

I will also be selling the XTZ Subamp1's when ive taken some pics.

Alan
    Last edited by Dawg; 04-02-2017 at 15:36. Reason: forgot FS:

I'm paul.

hi alan
    ill bump this for you
    can i point out that ive known alan for the best part of 30 yrs and will vouch for the guy and his audio gear,just in case any ones worried because he doesnt have a track record on here
    can i also add that these speakers/drivers are excellent sounding if you have the room for open baffle design,more so being a coaxial design,i know because i had exactly the same set up other then alan went the whole hog and brought the more expensive treble and xover units,because the bass duties are handled actively these are valve amp friendly at about 94-95db sensitivity if i remember right,i certainly regretted selling mine,but as stated,they do need some room to work there best,and i just never had the room as bourne out in one of my pictures in one of my threads
    alans also a horder with most stuff hifi (mr aladin as i like to call him) and know he would rather keep them then sell,but what his ad doesnt mention is the guy is getting married towards the end of the year and feel this is the main push for the sale,plus his new speakers are massive to,and think the future wife would like a place to sit down,and they have a cat to,with nowhere to swing it it now
    joking aside...great guy,great speakers,great sound,great price...hope they sell mate

regards
    smithie

I'm Alan.

Only the sterling silver Iris for sale now including all xover parts, I dragged them out last night and Ive decided to use the Augies with my existing speakers. Im pretty sure the SSI's where $750ea. £280 for the pair before putting them on ebay. (no baffles included now)

I'm Alan.

SOLD

+ Reply to Thread