+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: phono stage advice

I'm paul.

Default phono stage advice

ive taken the text below from part of another post i posted earlier that got put into the technics section.as this is more a general post i thought i would stick this part in here in the hope of getting a bigger response...

.i now need a phono stage and have no ideal as to what to go for...
    i was using a rega brio r until recently and was using its phono stage which i thought was great,but i have since sold that and now i have a avi lab s21 intergrated which hasnt got the phonoboard fitted,and at £300 for said board i dont think ill be investing in that,saying that it would be good to hear if anyone has used the avi phonostage and what they think of it soundwise,and how it compares to others around the same price or above....it may be a killer sounding thing so i wont rule it out completely....just cant find no opinions or info on it to judge.
    the avi is a very neutral sounding amp and go well with my tannoy xt6f,so i guess im on the look out for a phono stage that bares the same traits,ive been thinking the schiit mani as a option...mainly because its a good price and its been getting some great reviews etc.
    but i would be willing to spend some more dosh if i can get a substantial upgrade that will do my level of front end justice(technics sl1500 using a denon 110 at present,but will aim to use a nag mp110).
    and i have no problems with it being s/h etc if it nets me a better sounding phono stage that will do my level of turntable justice.
    so any help/advice/guidance would so much be appreciated...

regards
    smithie

I'm James.

Would you consider a valve phono stage, brings something extra to vinyl that SS can't quite match. However you may like the control and precision of a SS phono stage?

If you do consider valve then a Croft phono stage would be my first consideration. Dynamic, detailed, transparent with a touch of Croft valve magic that brings a live presentation to recordings. If you use NOS valves then they can sound very special.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dave.

Definitely Croft RIAA. Nothing comes close at anywhere near the price.

I'm paul.

hi guys
    thanks for the advice and recommendations.
    i have no preference regarding ss or valve,just after the best sound i can achieve for my turntable and budget....talking of which,doesnt the croft come in at something like £500?
    i need to sort some bits out on the technics first so im in no rush to get a phono stage just yet,so i can keep saving,so my next question is this....am i likely to see a £360 pound gain in sound quality over a schiit mani,and will my modest front end justify such a phono stage?
    sorry for all the questions i just have no real experience of phono stages,and havent got much chance of borrowing or hearing any down here in sunny cornwall,so im relying on all the advice/knowledge and experience that you guys have to steer me true
    many thanks so far.

smithie

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Firebottle. I've not heard anything at or near the price that's better.

Plus, you can demo a loaner unit for the cost of postage.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jez.

The Arkless 640P. There's nothing even at triple the price that's better.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    hi guys
    thanks for the advice and recommendations.
    i have no preference regarding ss or valve,just after the best sound i can achieve for my turntable and budget....talking of which,doesnt the croft come in at something like £500?
    i need to sort some bits out on the technics first so im in no rush to get a phono stage just yet,so i can keep saving,so my next question is this....am i likely to see a £360 pound gain in sound quality over a schiit mani,and will my modest front end justify such a phono stage?
    sorry for all the questions i just have no real experience of phono stages,and havent got much chance of borrowing or hearing any down here in sunny cornwall,so im relying on all the advice/knowledge and experience that you guys have to steer me true
    many thanks so far.

smithie
    You would be fine with any of those recommendations, I have heard the Firebottle phono stage, it is very good. Slightly smoother presentation to the Croft. The Croft has more bite as it were.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

RothwellAudio Guest

The Denon DL110 is a fairly low output cartridge. It's about 10dB quieter than a typical MM cartridge and about 10dB quieter than the Nagaoka MP110. A phonostage with some adjustment for gain might be useful, though not essential. You would want about 40dB for the Nagaoka and 50dB for the Denon, though you would be ok with about 40dB for both cartridges if the phonostage had just one gain setting (as most do).
    I'm assuming your budget is £100 - £150, correct?
    There's a bewildering array to choose from so I'll let others chip in with suggestions.

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The Arkless 640P. There's nothing even at triple the price that's better.
    I have to agree with Jez the Arkless phono stage is a giant killer and certainly would work well in your system. I was in a similar predicament a while back and after a little research and speaking with Jez it was a no brainer absolutely superb phono stage buy with confidence
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac