+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for reel to reel

I'm paul.

Thanks for the list Alan, I really like the look of the Akai but the long journey from Canada has me worried. My Denon DP80 arrived from Japan in good order except the strobe light didn't work but I suspect that had nothing to do with shipping. One or two others are within my budget but most finish before I get back from China.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Thanks for the list Alan, I really like the look of the Akai but the long journey from Canada has me worried. My Denon DP80 arrived from Japan in good order except the strobe light didn't work but I suspect that had nothing to do with shipping. One or two others are within my budget but most finish before I get back from China. Regarding the Akai, it's 60hz, is that a problem because I once worked on some ac units that were 60hz and ran slower than they should have.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Charlie.

Paul,

Personally I would go for a Revox or possibly a Tascam. The Revox machines have the electronics on cards and spares are day to come by with a decent number of people able and willing to service them. Hence it is much easier to service and repair Pro machines.

Spare parts e.g. heads and mechanical bits are also more easily available for Pro/Prosumer machines. I just wonder how easy it is to get spares for an Akai, Consumer Sony, Pioneer etc.

Charlie

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Paul,

Personally I would go for a Revox or possibly a Tascam. The Revox machines have the electronics on cards and spares are day to come by with a decent number of people able and willing to service them. Hence it is much easier to service and repair Pro machines.

Spare parts e.g. heads and mechanical bits are also more easily available for Pro/Prosumer machines. I just wonder how easy it is to get spares for an Akai, Consumer Sony, Pioneer etc.

Charlie
    valid point Charlie
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 05-02-2017 at 14:36.

I'm Chris.

Have a word with Steve at Vintagetech you should be able to get a fully serviced Revox for around £400.
    He also will have a selection of machines on offer, just tell what your looking for, but he always has Revox's.
    Better than buying from E Bay not knowing what your getting.

http://www.vintagetech.co.uk
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Alan.

It would be nice if you could get one with a service and waranty.
    2ndhandhifi.co.uk have got a Teac X1000m in and it states its been serviced £545 but if you haggle with Simon you could get it for £500.

From the ones I posted I would buy the Otari MX50 they are very professionally built for me your talking better transport than revox, almost Studer quality, and no cap problems
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Otari-MX-5...c=1&rmvSB=true.
    I always try to pick up from Ebay as people just dont know how to pack a R2R and they get damaged very easy

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    It would be nice if you could get one with a service and waranty.
    2ndhandhifi.co.uk have got a Teac X1000m in and it states its been serviced £545 but if you haggle with Simon you could get it for £500.

From the ones I posted I would buy the Otari MX50 they are very professionally built for me your talking better transport than revox, almost Studer quality, and no cap problems
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Otari-MX-5...c=1&rmvSB=true.
    I always try to pick up from Ebay as people just dont know how to pack a R2R and they get damaged very easy

Alan
    Looks like it has been sold, cannot see it on their site.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Alan.

Ah yeah sorry I was looking in a hifi mag, always worth ringing up though as I dont see any R2Rs or cassette decks ?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm paul.

Had a chat with Stephen Bennet about reel to reel and after searching for music on open reel and finding it thin on the ground I've decided to give it a miss at this time. Not going to rule it out indefinitely, never say never. Stephen had some decent machines at sensible prices and gave some good advice, for example four track and bleed into the tracks being played from the other tracks a good reason to use two track, 7.5 ips not having as much dynamic range as 15ips but I can't hear above 12Khz anyway and Stephen's hearing is worse than mine. Ok so some low bass may be missing also, but I still enjoy cassette occasionally.
    I don't get much time to listen so recording from radio etc is unlikely to happen. Maybe when I retire I will have more time on my hands.

I'm Nathan.

I actually think four tracks are fine for most purposes. Most of the old stock tapes I find still sound good. The dubbed ones can be pretty bad.

If you're going to buy master tapes a two track is the only way to go, but those make the cost of the machine look cheap pretty fast.

I actually have more fun with the 4 tracks with 7 inch reels. I can find free tapes easily, and erase them and dub whatever I want to them. I don't really notice the bleed through unless there is something wrong with the alignment, or it was dubbed on another machine.

Listening to Wish You Were Here on a high end 10 inch reel at 15ips is mind blowing. Listening to it on a $200 quad reel machine is just as cool in a different way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12