+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hearing!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Wink hearing!

how is your hearing???
    i find mine varies from day to day,
    i know air presure can play a big part, but is there something to be said for the type of mood we are in, and our state of mind, ie, stressed, relaxed,etc...your comments on this one!!!
    anthony...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

A good syringing of wax can be the best hi-fi upgrade you'll ever make.

'Source' first and all that!

And with that thought I'm off to have my lunch...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Not too bad, it's pretty stable and my high frequency response is very high indeed (tested last year to 18Khz which I'm told is outstanding!) so I'm always aware of minute changes to the hi-fi.

I have to add that getting one's ears syringed is not recommended unless medically necessary.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Not too bad, it's pretty stable and my high frequency response is very high indeed (tested last year to 18Khz which I'm told is outstanding!) so I'm always aware of minute changes to the hi-fi.

I have to add that getting one's ears syringed is not recommended unless medically necessary.
    18k is exceptional, thats akin to children, and some adult females!!!
    by the way, how old are ou rob ?
    dont answer that if you find it personal

I'm BigBobJoylove.

32. I've always had good hearing though.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, but I'm sure in some people's case you could shove a chamois in one end and then out the other, repeating the same process back and forth, for a superb shine!

Only jesting - don't try this at home kids

More seriously, I've never tested my hearing. How does one do this? I reckon it should be pretty decent though as I often hear things (say someone walking up the driveway and approaching the house - we have a long driveway - when all the windows are doors are shut, or the cat meowing wanting in at the other end of the house when the TV's on quite loud, etc) when other people don't. I also have no problem detecting differences with hi-fi equipment and cables!

I think one of my best senses is my sight. I have extremely good eyesight and can read things like car number plates and bus destination details from a long way off, or very small print in books, or whatever, under extremely low light conditions.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've never had mine tested,but I'd be interested in doing so.I seem to be able to hear quite high frequencies,things like tv's in standby.In fact I can often tell if someone is at home when I'm going to visit,as I can hear their tv on standby when I'm walking up the drive.I remember a neighbour where I used to live buying a supposedly ultrasonic device for keeping vermin away.Fortunately,being on good terms with him,he agreed to get rid of it when I begged him to do so as it was driving me up the wall! I could hear that about a quarter of a mile away.(no-one else I knew could hear it at all)
    I've wondered that it's maybe because many here can probably relate similar experiences,that it's the reason we got into hi-fi in the first place.Perhaps our hearing is just more discriminating than majority of the population.It would explain why most people don't seem to care about high-fidelity reproduction.
    Last edited by Ali Tait; 28-04-2008 at 17:08.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hearing is tested by a Doctor upon request, just some simple indication tests, nothing probative. My sight is also superb I have to say, sometimes I even surprise myself with what I can see from a large distance.

However, there's always a negative, my sense of smell is pathetic and my sense of taste very limited, probably why I don't give a toss about food.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

You are all quite clearly bats!..... or hawks!..... or both!

I'll be sending round a 'preditor'..... Just as soon as I figure out what eats bats and hawks!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    my sense of taste very limited