+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downloading FLAC or WAV music tracks

I'm Rob.

Linn are another good source, but they have a limited range: http://www.linnrecords.com

I'd also second the suggestions of Qobuz (all music) and Presto Classical (Classical mostly) both of whom provide excellent service IMO

The two advantages of Downloads are:

1. Availability of better than CD quality recordings. For example, 24-bit FLAC and DSD
    2. Convenience, you can download an album and be playing it in about 10 minutes. Buying and ripping a CD takes a lot longer.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    The two advantages of Downloads are:

1. Availability of better than CD quality recordings. For example, 24-bit FLAC and DSD
    2. Convenience, you can download an album and be playing it in about 10 minutes. Buying and ripping a CD takes a lot longer.
    Point 1 is debatable...

As for point 2 it takes about 3 mins to rip a CD with DBpoweramp, and you have the art work, sleeve notes, and a physical backup...as someone mentioned earlier BOBWs
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

Yeah, i rip with jriver and its 3to5 mins a disc..maybe less. EAC can take longer especially if disc has problems. Having disc backup is essential as shit happens pc wise. The what sounds best is subjective i suppose, but you can always play it at higher bit rates if you wish. Ive found 32 bit 44 on headphones suits me on headphones and 32 bit 384 on rpi through system. But plenty prefer bit perfect 16/44.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Micky.

The album is available to listen to on Spotify

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    As for point 2 it takes about 3 mins to rip a CD with DBpoweramp
    The ripping speed is irrelevant. The delay is getting hold of the CD.

Say I'm at home and I read about a fantastic new album and decide to buy it. The very quickest way I'm going to be able to get that CD is to jump into my car and nip to my local shop to buy one (if such a thing still exists locally for me - my local town no longer has a decent music store). With a following wind it's going to be an hour, and realistically is more likely to be a few hours (because while you are out you'll probably want to get some other stuff .....)

With downloads, without leaving my chair I can find the album and have it downloaded in at most half an hour, and often only about 10 minutes.

Ripping is still good for when you find a new CD from browsing in a shop or finding one second hand. But there's nothing to beat reading a record review and having it playing out of your Hi-Fi in minutes. Downloads give you that.

Oh and don't even suggest the streaming route. I don't want to rent my music. I want to own it.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    The ripping speed is irrelevant. The delay is getting hold of the CD.

Say I'm at home and I read about a fantastic new album and decide to buy it. The very quickest way I'm going to be able to get that CD is to jump into my car and nip to my local shop to buy one (if such a thing still exists locally for me - my local town no longer has a decent music store). With a following wind it's going to be an hour, and realistically is more likely to be a few hours (because while you are out you'll probably want to get some other stuff .....)

With downloads, without leaving my chair I can find the album and have it downloaded in at most half an hour, and often only about 10 minutes.

Ripping is still good for when you find a new CD from browsing in a shop or finding one second hand. But there's nothing to beat reading a record review and having it playing out of your Hi-Fi in minutes. Downloads give you that.

Oh and don't even suggest the streaming route. I don't want to rent my music. I want to own it.
    Do you actually own a download or do you just lease it? I know there was some confusion a while back but not sure if it was resolved.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

Default Downloading FLAC or WAV music tracks

Depends on where u get it. Spotify etc is just leased as long as you use service. Others I think you download and keep. Like an MP3 rip from amazon that you buy or get with cd or record is yours for keeps

If u get access to where it's downloaded on pc it's yours
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Depends on where u get it. Spotify etc is just leased as long as you use service. Others I think you download and keep. Like an MP3 rip from amazon that you buy or get with cd or record is yours for keeps

If u get access to where it's downloaded on pc it's yours
    Yeah I suppose if you have it on a HDD it must be yours,I wonder if it's the same with cloud storage?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

By download, I meant go to an online store and buy the files containing the music. I then download the files and store them on my network. My hi-fi plays them from my store on my network.

If the people who sold me the files go tits up, I'll still have my files.

Of course that does make it my responsibility to store them securely, and have them backed up. Many suppliers (Presto Classical for example) remember what you've purchased and allow you to download them again without additional charge. But I still look upon it as my responsibility not to lose the files.

Recently a young lad I know lost his job, and he suddenly found he could no longer afford to pay the subscription fee for his favoured streaming service. So he lost access to his favourite music. If he'd downloaded, that wouldn't have happened.
    Rob.