+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downloading FLAC or WAV music tracks

I'm Grant.

Anything I rip or download I make 3 copies min. In case of he'd failure. Once had 2 go in a week
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Music files I've downloaded and stored locally may legally still be leased, but they'd have to come and take them off me. With a streaming service, they can just switch them off.

And another thing: I can be reasonably sure that the files I've downloaded - being in an open format (I favour FLAC) - will always be playable by my equipment. Whereas if a streaming service decides to change the format of the stuff it streams - or the format of the stream itself - that could render the equipment I used to listen to the feed obsolete at a stroke.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Music files I've downloaded and stored locally may legally still be leased, but they'd have to come and take them off me. With a streaming service, they can just switch them off.

And another thing: I can be reasonably sure that the files I've downloaded - being in an open format (I favour FLAC) - will always be playable by my equipment. Whereas if a streaming service decides to change the format of the stuff it streams - or the format of the stream itself - that could render the equipment I used to listen to the feed obsolete at a stroke.
    Though I've never streamed myself, you make a good point about possibly having to change your gear if the format changes. I did start ripping in WAV but now FLAC, I personally couldn't tell any difference,I'm not trying to start a debate on that btw
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

I would hope that the main difference between WAV and FLAC is the files size. FLAC files can be compressed, so they are smaller but still deliver good quality audio. Also FLAC file support metadata where as WAV don't (or don't support it as well/easily)
    Rob.

I'm Chris.

But wider still, Flac is designed specifically for audio, is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, and has a well documented format.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    But wider still, Flac is designed specifically for audio, is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, and has a well documented format.
    Rob.

I'm Clive.

Having just spent 3 months with Tidal, I think it is overpriced and over hyped. SQ was poorer than my own CD rips. It was however useful for finding new music that has previously passed me by, but at the end of the day I didn't like the fact that I didn't own anything and was subject to somebody else's whims in supply.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I would hope that the main difference between WAV and FLAC is the files size. FLAC files can be compressed, so they are smaller but still deliver good quality audio. Also FLAC file support metadata where as WAV don't (or don't support it as well/easily)
    FLAC is basically a lossless compression format for WAV, one can select the compression level, but it's advisable to keep it at 5...the best compromise for compression, and ease of transcoding at playback.

One can convert from FLAC to WAV and back again, infinitely, and still have exactly the same data...

My MDAC has some 'Bit Perfect' test WAV files 16/44.1 and 24/96, I've converted these to FLAC on my NAS, and can play the back via LMS/SBTouch into the MDAC. On both occasions the bit perfect test is passed...so proof, if proof were needed...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Having just spent 3 months with Tidal, I think it is overpriced and over hyped. SQ was poorer than my own CD rips. It was however useful for finding new music that has previously passed me by, but at the end of the day I didn't like the fact that I didn't own anything and was subject to somebody else's whims in supply.

Agree, that and no compatibility with my android tablet to control the damn thing on my pc-server - unless you go for more subs and Roon!
    How big a hole is than in their "it's for Hifi lovers" is that!!!

Having become used to Jriver / Gizmo and Spotify's smart setup, Tidal was useless.
    Trial sub duly cancelled.
    Loads of folk have been telling them this for ages, falls on deaf ears..
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    The wife's fallen in love with a track by Nell Brysen called The Olive Tree off her new album Bloom. I thought if she was going to pay for it then CD quality beats MP3 by a long way.

Good album that. I'm listening to it with the missus
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast