+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Ballfinger R2R

I'm Geoff.

the 'rail' is just an armlift by the look of it. Bit of a big awkward one though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

I don't think it's just an arm lift. Have a look at this HifiPig article.
    Ballfinger say the Schallplattenspieler PS 2 is the “first tangential disc player with a conventional rotary sound arm and the usual operation.
    And this is from a google translation of the Ballfinger page:

The PS 2 is the first record player whose radial arm has been combined with a processor-controlled linear guide.
    The second processor controls the position of the tone arm base. For this purpose, the chip does not require any lateral force, but draws on the tonearm geometry as the controlled variable by means of the latest sensor technology, without force or contact. The tracking of the tone arm base is done in real-time and highly sensitively. A silent, finely balanced and decoupled precision drive takes over the mechanical work. The activation and deactivation of this drive is fully automatic. This allows the arm to be operated as an ordinary rotary arm. The scanning angle of the tone arm can theoretically be set to exactly 0.00 °, but the skating force is much more important: it is the main cause of most signal distortions. In PS 2, it is so small that it has no influence on the signal and does not have to be compensated.
    Rob.