+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big news for us Roon users...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Tempted to have a go with this Gaz. Have just subscribed to Tidal, brought on funnily enough by a move to Sky Q..

It's an annoying thing that Sky have gone backwards on connectivity with Q. With my old HD box, you had optical and coax digi out, as well as anologue outs. You also had four Ethernet ports on the router. With Q, there is only one optical out on the box, and only two Ethernet ports on the router. Not much good when your dac only has coax spdif input, and you need at least three ethernet connections on the router.

So, I bought an Ethernet switch to expand available ports on the router, then started looking at dacs so I can connect the box to my system. Upshot of that is I ordered a Mytek Brooklyn, which has come today. Given it's the first non Meridian dac that can process MQA, of course I have to try Tidal..

So the Q has ended up costing a fortune. Bear the lack of connectivity in mind folks, if you are considering changing.

The Mytek looks a great bit of kit though, very versatile and great sounding according to the reviews.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Mytek looks a great bit of Kit Ali, look forward to hearing it at Mine maybe...playing "proper" MQA through Roon.
    Should be a blast.
    Bit of a bugger with Sky Q, optical can be ok if the implementations good.

Should Try Roon, only snag is you need an "endpoint" (digital renderer) thats compatible?
    With V 1.3 I know there's a whole list of compatible new hardware, so worth a look.

Cant remember what you use (used to use? ) for digital, will be fine though if you still use the TFS, just load the Client version of Roon on the 'poota.
    Good info here:
    https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Mytek looks a great bit of Kit Ali, look forward to hearing it at Mine maybe...playing "proper" MQA through Roon.
    Should be a blast.
    Bit of a bugger with Sky Q, optical can be ok if the implementations good.

Should Try Roon, only snag is you need an "endpoint" (digital renderer) thats compatible?
    With V 1.3 I know there's a whole list of compatible new hardware, so worth a look.

Cant remember what you use (used to use? ) for digital, will be fine though if you still use the TFS, just load the Client version of Roon on the 'poota.
    Good info here:
    https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture
    Not sure what you mean by endpoint mate?

Yes still using the TFS.

Had a go with MQA, it's sou ding very good so far. Good thing with this dac is you can enable or disable MQA playback with the press of a button, so it's easy to hear the difference. Am preferring MQA, it seems to resolve low level detail better, makes the whole seem more musical and draws you in to the performance more.

Difference is easily discernable, see what you think at the next board meeting.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread