+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quad update

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I worked on some of the last production of Strowger electromechanical gear at GEC in Hartlepool about 1981 ish as "works experience". Believe me they had a low opinion of system x there! It was the towns biggest employer and system x shut it down...
    There's something wonderful about electromechanical gear. I worked as student in the summer at Pye TMC, setting up Carpenter relays for use in telephone exchanges. Those relays were beautifully engineered and I learnt a lot about electrical contact technology.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I worked on some of the last production of Strowger electromechanical gear at GEC in Hartlepool about 1981 ish as "works experience". Believe me they had a low opinion of system x there! It was the towns biggest employer and system x shut it down...
    So, another ex GEC guy, there's a lot of them about, including Spendorman.
    Spendorman

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    So, another ex GEC guy, there's a lot of them about, including Spendorman.
    Me too!
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Many years later I worked for a while for what had been GPT at Newton Aycliffe... It had been bought out by then (can't remember the name of the company I actually worked for) and it mainly did repair work on customer returns of BT cordless phones and answering machines.... Most of the test gear still had "Property of GPT" stickers on it...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Richard.

Off topic I know, but I can recall wiring Strowger gear at Shepton Mallett Exchange in 1967 for the Post office. Ericksons were the suppliers (my Dad worked for them; later Plessey).

The spare springs were very useful to small boys and also the regenerator units (remember those?)
    Richard
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345