+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad update

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The problem of fake semiconductors from China is real and present... and far more widespread than you may imagine. I would be pleasantly surprised if there were no fakes in the cheapest Chinese kit. Very definitely caveat emptor!
    OK, but surely fake transistors and diodes would soon fail or show-up in poor performance. The manufacturer says the pcb is Chinese, but, and perhaps I'm wrong here, he doesn't state that the populace of the board is.

Has anyone any evidence that there are errors in these pcb boards...as someone has opined?

I find it somewhat amusing that, having just been interested in another forum on £90 audiophile fuses...where subjectivity seems to be key....that here SQ seems to be marginalised.

Thanks

Again, has anyone either hard evidence of poor Chinese workmanship on this kit, and/or actually listened to this amp?
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Chris.

Default Another 306 is what you need

Hi
    Like you I have tried 405.2 and 306, the 306 is a better device and better design.
    The Chinese clones are either poor copies with design faults of a 405.2 which I alerted
    to in another thread , or based on a 405 Mk1

There is nothing hugely wrong with an original Quad 405 or 405.2, but a 303 generally sounds better
    but a 306 better again.

I would not waste my time with clones rather,put money available into another 306 and use one channel of each for
    your amplification needs. This is what I do like a mono block, just using one channel of each amp.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi
    Like you I have tried 405.2 and 306, the 306 is a better device and better design.
    The Chinese clones are either poor copies with design faults of a 405.2 which I alerted
    to in another thread , or based on a 405 Mk1

There is nothing hugely wrong with an original Quad 405 or 405.2, but a 303 generally sounds better
    but a 306 better again.

I would not waste my time with clones rather,put money available into another 306 and use one channel of each for
    your amplification needs. This is what I do like a mono block, just using one channel of each amp.

Cheers / Chris
    Thanks Chris (and others). More food for thought ...and cheaper too!

BW
    Richard.

I'm inactive.

I did some searching around 405 clones a year or two back when I was looking - in the end I got an original 405-2 in good nick (eBay - £200) and it's done well.

This is a good thread about the topic, albeit relating to clone boards rather than complete amps. Note post #6 relating to the inherent fault in some (mentioned earlier).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...surements.html
    "The 405 clone boards faithfully reproduce the well-known error on the original 405-1 schematics and PCBs: the output Zobel network is grounded to the input signal ground (which is isolated from the power ground by a 10R resistor), not the power ground as it should be, explaining why I experienced catastrophic oscillation which destroyed a tweeter the first time I plugged one of these things in without anything connected to the signal input ground."

Likely that the bloke on eBay you are looking at has sorted this problem but worth bearing in mind.

Personally I've had no problems whatsoever with the original I bought but yes, it can be pot luck given the age of these beasts.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    OK, but surely fake transistors and diodes would soon fail or show-up in poor performance. The manufacturer says the pcb is Chinese, but, and perhaps I'm wrong here, he doesn't state that the populace of the board is.

Has anyone any evidence that there are errors in these pcb boards...as someone has opined?

I find it somewhat amusing that, having just been interested in another forum on £90 audiophile fuses...where subjectivity seems to be key....that here SQ seems to be marginalised.

Thanks

Again, has anyone either hard evidence of poor Chinese workmanship on this kit, and/or actually listened to this amp?
    There are many variables here. Sometimes they use a die from older lower spec transistors, sometimes even ones rated for half the power of the ones you think you are buying. Failures can and do happen. You may not notice the difference in performance.
    I NEVER buy semiconductors from ebay or similar sources as the chance of them being fake is just too high. I pay maybe 5 times as much for guaranteed quality from approved stockists.

I'd avoid the 303 if I were you. The worst of the Quad amps in many ways. They do have a following but personally I wouldn't give one house room... other than as an objet d' art with a 33 pre and FM3 tuner in a bedroom or workshop system. They don;t produce any "nasties" such as hard or "transistory" sound or anything like that, they just fail to deliver on grip, speed, transparency etc and although they can sound ok in isolation comparison with a modern amp soon puts them in perspective!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    All looks a bit gash to me. Quite an untidy layout inside.
    Yes, I agree, not the tidiest of layouts. In itself that may not be a problem but it would undermine my faith in the product.

I'm Mike.

I've owned at least a couple of each of the 303's, 306's and 405-2's and my order of preference goes 405-2 first (by a long margin), then the 306 and a fair way behind the 303. I would buy a good condition 405-2 and get it serviced by Quad (£70).
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The problem of fake semiconductors from China is real and present... and far more widespread than you may imagine. I would be pleasantly surprised if there were no fakes in the cheapest Chinese kit. Very definitely caveat emptor!
    Yep. The amp I currently enjoy is known to employ some fake WIMA caps as it comes from the factory. Mine fortunately has been sorted but it's a definite issue to be aware of.
    Not to say all fake caps are bad caps but you have no way of knowing.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    I've owned at least a couple of each of the 303's, 306's and 405-2's and my order of preference goes 405-2 first (by a long margin), then the 306 and a fair way behind the 303. I would buy a good condition 405-2 and get it serviced by Quad (£70).

Just goes to show...... the exact reverse of my taste! Can there be a definitive answer to these things?

My Leak Stereo 20 has suddenly making 'orrible distorted noises and without France's resident guru (how dare you move back the UK) it has been necessary to put it on the spares pile.

The only two amps I have here I will trust with the 57s are a 303 and a 306. I know that I preferred the 306 to the 405/2 I no longer have. It was very quickly established that the 303 is the one that makes music and offers more insight with the 57s. They were designed to compliment each other. I tried both 303s I have and they both did the same job.

So clearly, choosing a speaker relies on being able to drive it with your chosen amplifier before laying out the readies.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Jez will diss or confirm I'm sure, but the current dumper circuit is very fussy around the 'bridge' and crap design here ruins the performance. Not an easy circuit to 'clone' successfully and Quad themselves went though several layout changes until the first mk2 boards came along (issue 7). Quad did have new replacement boards not that long ago (issue 10 I seem to remember)... Link to mk1 updates below.

http://www.keith-snook.info/quad-405-mods.html

Must be just me, but I always found the 306 gutless, even with other preamps. The 303 has it's place, but not necessarily in a modern system (my old speakers were voiced using a 303 with its particular and sonically way of doing things so it kinda makes sense as a base reference in my particular case).

606mk2's aren't hugely expensive these days and I still think they're bloody good - the mk1 may need some updates as they could take a while to 'warm up' and lose the grain heard on cold-switch-on I remember, something the mk2 avoided right from the off on the samples I demo'd.
    Last edited by DSJR; 04-02-2017 at 14:27.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast