+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do headphones need running in?

I'm Jerry.

Default Do headphones need running in?

I got a new pair of cheap headphones for xmas and so far have been disappointed with the sound; specifically the upper notes which sound harsh and strident. Will this improve over time?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I got a new pair of cheap headphones for xmas and so far have been disappointed with the sound; specifically the upper notes which sound harsh and strident. Will this improve over time?
    Possibly. You haven't specified the model of headphone - I'm sure that there are some out there that are beyond redemption

Headphones need to be run just as speakers do.

Chris

I'm Neil.

Yes.

My Grado GS1000, took quite awhile to run in and my first headphones Sennheiser HD560 MK2 Ovations took a long time to settle in.

Stick with them what you are hearing should go out of them in time. However what make are they?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Jerry.

Hi chaps. They are Superlux HD681. Recommended by a few people on this forum.
    I wasn't expecting much for the price but they are painful at the moment.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Neil.

Hi chaps. They are Superlux HD681. Recommended by a few people on this forum.
    I wasn't expecting much for the price but they are painful at the moment.
    Can't help never heard of or heard these. PM who ever recommended them and ask how the sound changed for them as theirs ran in.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

Yeah they do get a little better, not a great deal yet with mine, but mine were never painfull in the high end just a little sibilant - certainly nothing I would quibble about at the price!
    Give them a bit more time, I left mine running over night with my 7520 playing through them, I found this gave me the improvments that I now have with them!
    It would be a shame if you don't get on with them, I know dave is very happy with them, an I have been more than satisfied at the price point
    do you know, there are a few different version? I wonder if we have a different version? Or indeed if the quality control is poor?
    Let me know how you get on over the next week or so, I would happily post you mine on loan to make sure you just haven't got a duff pair! ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

You have tinkered with your Beresford right jerry? Maybe it is that compared with my un tinkerd Beresford?

Edit: not to say your have done wrong to the Beresford, I'm just under the impression that different mods are more succesful with different head phones...
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 26-12-2009 at 12:01.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

PLEASE don't run your headphones in on your ears, as any nasty peaks could cause ear damage at those frequencies.

My HD25's have a peak at 4-5KHz and I played them quite loudly last Easter. I'm still suffering the consequences of this and it's amazing how the "peak" doesn't seem as bad now, probably becuae I've damaged my ears at this frequency, although before my current 'lurgy, they started to "sparkle" again and the BC2's came to life...

Remember, headphone modules are little more than sophisticated microphone elements and the diaphragms move by tiny amounts. Running in may not be an issue and a harsh 'phone may stay that way for hundreds of hours' use..

I'm told the Shure "Etymotics" perform well with a well integrated response
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    You have tinkered with your Beresford right jerry? Maybe it is that compared with my un tinkerd Beresford?

Edit: not to say your have done wrong to the Beresford, I'm just under the impression that different mods are more succesful with different head phones...
    I have tinkered Hamish but only Stan approved stuff-Wolson dac and op-amp change. I will leave them running for a few days to see if they improve. The version of the headphones I have is the bass tuned one (because I didnt read the blurb and clicked on the first one).
    Its a shame if they dont improve because they are very comfy-I like the way they sit over your ear.
    Maybe an op-amp change to the headphone circuit may help
    Jerry

I'm David.

Like I say, see how you get on... I don't know which pair I have, it seems a bit daft that there needs to be a choice, surly just one good set would suffice! Anyway let me know if you wanna take me up on the offer of a lend of mine, I'd be more than happy to do that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast