+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance companies

I'm Dave.

Default Insurance companies

Just received a quote for our house and contents insurance and it's doubled - that's right, it has doubled.

The house is a 15th Century farmhouse, so not of standard construction and not all companies cover this type of property. We have used our present insurance company for two years but this year they have hiked the premium. My Wife had a chat with the company today and was told that the hike is just for existing customers and that new customers would pay similar to our last premium. So we are being penalised for being good customers !!!

What is the reason behind this ? Surely they will lose all existing customers and will then have to build up clientele to keep in business ?

I don't get it.

I'm Grant.

Thats the way they work for some reason. The idea is only to get new business as thats where they get there bonus from. Old customers going seems not to count against. Car insurance is the same mostly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Bad business model in my book, yours too I'm sure Dave.

Try Adrian Flux brokers, they can come up with some good deals.

Alan

I'm Paul.

Every business seems to work this way - insurance, phone, TV, anything renewed annually. Try it on with existing customers, rely on a good proportion just renewing automatically at a premium, and accept a few will clear off to be replaced with new ones. My house insurance mob have tried it for the last 3 years. I get the price back to close to last year by calling them, which I do because they have paid out reliably in the past and cheap insurance is only cheap if it doesn't let you down when you need it.

I'm Dave.

My Wife spent all afternoon on Go Compare and the phone to get our home insurance under control. This she did and the premium with another company is cheaper than we paid last year and less than half the cost the old company now want.

My Wife did talk with the main man at the old company and he apologised but it was the 'under writer's policy' to increase the premium and he couldn't reduce it.

So, job done but why do these companies do it ? The old company has lost our business and also the majority of existing companies with this policy. To my mind, it's not a good business model as you should retain all your existing customers and also look for new. Is this some kind of legislation ?

I'm Geoff.

It's just a standard insurance company dodge Dave. Many folk are resistant to changing companies, so maybe they bank on them staying and then rake in the extra in premiums.

I have the same struggle with my car insurer. They send me an elevated quote every year. Normally I can wangle a deal after some haggling though. I twisted their arm enough to get £800 off the original quote for my three cars last time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

Perhaps it's my age but it never used to be that way. You would stay with the same company for years as the prices only ever crept up by a % or so and occasionally went down for loyal customers. Now it's all rip off and obfuscation.

I'm Ian.

Here's an interesting thing, the renewal for the cat's insurance with More than came the other day, £138. Then I had an email from More than offering to complete the renewal online, which I would have done anyway, so I followed the link, filled in the form and lo and behold £50 cheaper. I know that when you take out any insurance for the first time it's cheaper to do it online as you are not taking a person who has to be paid's time up but why is there such a large hike in the price when it's just a renewal no doubt processed by computers anyway.
    Another example of insurance company bollocks is recently my brother and his wife had a holiday booked for 6 weeks in South Africa but due to unforeseen circumstances they needed to delay it for a month. The holiday company they booked with were very good and said it would cost £200 to change the booking. The insurance company refused to pay the £200 but instead gave a full refund for the trip of £6000. WTF.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've just seen my renewal price for the Prius and it's about £850 via Hastings Direct

That's just a crazy renewal price as last year I paid about £400 and I now have 2 years No Claims bonus

It was always going to be a problem as I insured my old Merc as 'classic' insurance which does not include any NCB

So I am building up my NCB again but £850 seems completely crazy as I only paid £400 last year so I will be searching for a better quote this year for my car insurance..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Ive got many years ncb and it still went up. I will change this year. was ill when it came up last term and had a quote for a lot less but wasnt up to changing it. They are just thieves the lot of them.
    Ive never claimed ever in 40 odd years
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast