Thread: Ikea Kallax etc

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Like the new look?
    Very sexy Geoff... hows about a date
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Prefer figs actually.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Prefer figs actually.
    she looks regular
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I find they are fine without bracing though it might be worth fitting some wooden slats or dowels at the back as this stops adjacent LPs sliding back in the bay when you replace a record. It is easy to fit a dowel when you are putting the unit together as you can drill through the central upright panel and into each side wall before fitting the side panels.

Worth noting that the earlier Expedit which the Kallax replaced had thicker panel walls. Ikea is cheap but I think quality has declined over the years.

Geoff

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I find they are fine without bracing though it might be worth fitting some wooden slats or dowels at the back as this stops adjacent LPs sliding back in the bay when you replace a record. It is easy to fit a dowel when you are putting the unit together as you can drill through the central upright panel and into each side wall before fitting the side panels.

Worth noting that the earlier Expedit which the Kallax replaced had thicker panel walls. Ikea is cheap but I think quality has declined over the years.

Geoff
    I just screwed 1x2s across the center of each row, and painted them to match. I had the big one. It was probably fine without it, but it made me feel more secure. It kept the albums from sliding out the back too. Screwing it to the wall would probably be even better.

I've seen pictures of collapsed ones, but they looked like they had the wrong side on the floor, and all of the weight sitting on the dividers.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

I haven't braced mine and it's sturdy enough for me (and it's full, hence why I got another). I think it depends on how full it is and also the orientation. I should think they are tougher being upright as the actual shelves going across are 1 piece and the dividers help with the weight distribution. Having it the other way, all the weight is on the dividers.

I have noticed that some Ikea stuff seems cheaper now than a few years back but these Kallax while having a thinner outer frame, the actual shelves and dividers are the exact same thickness.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I haven't braced mine and it's sturdy enough for me (and it's full, hence why I got another). I think it depends on how full it is and also the orientation. I should think they are tougher being upright as the actual shelves going across are 1 piece and the dividers help with the weight distribution. Having it the other way, all the weight is on the dividers.

I have noticed that some Ikea stuff seems cheaper now than a few years back but these Kallax while having a thinner outer frame, the actual shelves and dividers are the exact same thickness.
    They're not designed to sit on the side. That's not the shelves fault, it's on whoever put it together if it falls over. I think mine would have been fine without braces. It was full, and bracing it was more for my piece of mind. Putting screws into the fiberboard may have even made it weaker. If I was going to do it again I'd probably cover the the whole back in plywood. I ultimately ended up building my own, but if I ever move they're staying behind. There's no way to get them out in one piece.

I'm Simon.

^ Yeah, but I've seen loads of pics where people have them on the side full of records and then lots of gear on top.

I'm Nathan.

Trusting a cheap shelf from IKEA to protect all of the albums just made me paranoid. It probably wasn't justified. Their stuff is generally sturdy if you put it together right and don't try to move it around when it's fully loaded down.

They sell castors for them to set on. Rolling one around would scare the crap out of me. A rolling record wall would be cool though.

I'm Russell.

I covered the back of my shelves with peg board, sturdy but lets air through. If that's important? I felt like it keeps things dry? But it worked great, and cost little. I was thinking all that weight makes a great base for your 'table! No footfalls going to bounce those shelves around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast