+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve emitting hi freq sound

I'm Adrian.

Default Valve emitting hi freq sound

One of the driver 6sl7g valves in my Cary's has started to emit a very high pitched whining sound - like the old tone (but higher in frequency) when a TV channel went off the air. It rises then stops, then starts then stops after a while then starts again - whining away - I'm assuming it's f*cked?

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Does sound like it!
    As they age, their parameters change, and they go noisy, some make rumbling noises, some rustling, and some, well like yours!
    Make sure though that its not picking up something thats near it, or plugged into the same circuit etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    One of the driver 6sl7g valves in my Cary's has started to emit a very high pitched whining sound - like the old tone (but higher in frequency) when a TV channel went off the air. It rises then stops, then starts then stops after a while then starts again - whining away - I'm assuming it's f*cked?

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Adrian.

Well they're less than a year old, Shuguang Black Treasure series. If you shake it gently it rattles whereas the good one doesn't - put in my trusty old Phillips (hardly audiophile) but the whining has gone. One of them is a little noisy though, a slight hum and picking up a bit of RF. Typical just sold my RCA red base lol.
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm James.

Gone microphonic ?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Jez.

Presuming the sound is being physically generated by the valve itself and is not present through the speakers then a very rare case of the 6.3V AC heater supply causing audible resonance due to microphonics is the likely cause. If your amp uses DC for heaters then it's plain bizarre!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

I actually spent time looking for a mouse in a Rogers Cadet III due to rustling valves.

I'm Adrian.

The sound was also coming from that monoblocks speaker tweeter and at first i assumed it was some weird interference and was checking cables like an idiot and scanning for taxis outside the house. but I realised i could also hear it in my other ear as I was listening to the tweeter and when the tweeter stopped I could still hear it in my other ear - the monoblock is very close and I followed the sound back to the Shuguang driver tube which was whistling happily away like a high pitched kettle, ebbing then rising in volume - the sound then coming back through the tweeter.

I've been realigning my new cart and the amps had been on for hours, mostly silent.

I removed the tube and replaced with an old Phillips tube. Silence. Gently shaking the Shuguang you can hear what sounds like when you shake an old filament style bulb that's broken. The other tube doesn't rattle or make any sound. I've replaced them both.

It's not microphonic.

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

Hi Adrian,
    AS I said in the earlier post, valves can make all sorts of noises after they have been used a while, And I stick by what I said in the earlier post, their parameters change,ie; the internal structures can move slightly, tiny bits of the getter fall off the glass and get stuck between things, also; the gain with signal can change, making them more sensitive, and therefore more prone to self oscillation, etc, etc.
    And if you can hear a rattle while shaking it, most of the time, its the bonding material they use to stick the valve base to the valve glass, sometimes bits fall off inside the base, hence the rattle.
    Either way; you seem to have sorted it, and that's all that matters.
    A...
    The sound was also coming from that monoblocks speaker tweeter and at first i assumed it was some weird interference and was checking cables like an idiot and scanning for taxis outside the house. but I realised i could also hear it in my other ear as I was listening to the tweeter and when the tweeter stopped I could still hear it in my other ear - the monoblock is very close and I followed the sound back to the Shuguang driver tube which was whistling happily away like a high pitched kettle, ebbing then rising in volume - the sound then coming back through the tweeter.

I've been realigning my new cart and the amps had been on for hours, mostly silent.

I removed the tube and replaced with an old Phillips tube. Silence. Gently shaking the Shuguang you can hear what sounds like when you shake an old filament style bulb that's broken. The other tube doesn't rattle or make any sound. I've replaced them both.

It's not microphonic.

In perpetual pursuit.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Adrian.

The problem is I miss their sound! Kind of spoilt now. Not sure I want to shell out another €200 on a pair only for one to go bad in a year but their sound is the best I've heard of any 6SL7.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

Speak with Marco, he has had a lot of experience with diffrent 6SL7's, and can hopefuly point you in the right direction.
    A...
    The problem is I miss their sound! Kind of spoilt now. Not sure I want to shell out another €200 on a pair only for one to go bad in a year but their sound is the best I've heard of any 6SL7.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Nikola Tesla

+ Reply to Thread