Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue Floyd

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Agreed!
    Where's the "Shock/horror" smiley?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Where's the "Shock/horror" smiley?

Marco.
    I thought it more amusing to await the predicted response as above
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shaun.

Martin says "Unless mics capable of exceeding 22KHz were used in the recording there is no advantage to higher sampling rates, 44.1Khz captures the waveform in its entirety. You hear a difference with 'high rez' then you are hearing different mastering."

Digital does not capture at all it 'samples' it. And, it samples in slices or chunks which then give back a facsimile of the original analogue waveform. It is not the original waveform it is an impression of it. To reproduce an analogue waveform requires an analogue replay system otherwise it is only a facsimile of that waveform which of course is re-assembled by a chip on a board. And then of course if information is missing, it just makes it up and slots it in. Not with analogue though.

I thought it more amusing to await the predicted response as above
    Lol... I'm afraid the notion that an analogue signal can be digitally manipulated (to buggery), as indeed happens during your average vinyl ripping process, and come out the other end 'fully intact', is fanciful in the extreme.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

Lol... I'm afraid the notion that an analogue signal can be digitally manipulated (to buggery), as indeed happens during your average vinyl ripping process, and come out the other end 'fully intact', is fanciful in the extreme.

Marco.
    Theoretically it can... but my ears beg to differ (thought you'd like that) and it's not an Nth degree thing it's bloody obvious. I've sometimes wondered if people who have ripped their vinyl to digital, especially if they've used a poor front end and phono stage, realise how much they are missing out on...

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Theoretically it can... but my ears beg to differ (thought you'd like that) and it's not an Nth degree thing it's bloody obvious.
    Haha... Ditto, mine. And probably like you, have done it often enough in order to get a very good handle on what's happening sonically. Anyway, you know what they say about theories!

I've sometimes wondered if people who have ripped their vinyl to digital, especially if they've used a poor front end and phono stage, realise how much they are missing out on...
    Indeed, but I guess you could argue that if the vinyl front end is so poor, the digitisation process [I'm primarily thinking here of the noise reduction software available] helps ameliorate some of the nasties from the turntable (and perhaps also the record itself)!

Here's another one to consider, by extrapolating this further.... As poor as vinyl rips can often be, in comparison with the original, if you've got a good (properly set-up) turntable, phono stage, pristine records, a decent soundcard and the wherewithal to produce a reasonably faithful facsimile of the original vinyl source, it can sound MUCH better than your average commercially produced CD of the same album.

What's your view on that? For me, if you take the time to do it right, the results are a no-brainer. Only genuine 'audiophile' quality releases on CD can stand comparison.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jez.

Haha... Ditto, mine - and probably like you, have done it often enough in order to get a very good handle on what's happening sonically. Anyway, you know what they say about theories!

Indeed, but I guess you could argue that if the vinyl front end is so poor, the digitisation process [I'm primarily thinking here of the noise reduction software available] helps ameliorate some of the nasties from the turntable (and perhaps also the record)!

Here's another one to consider, by extrapolating this further.... As poor as vinyl rips can often be, in comparison with the original, if you've got a good (properly set-up) turntable, phono stage, pristine records, a decent soundcard and the wherewithal to produce a reasonably faithful facsimile of the original vinyl source, it can sound MUCH better than your average commercially produced CD of the same album.

What's your view on that? For me, if you take the time to do it right, the results are a no-brainer. Only genuine 'audiophile' quality releases on CD can stand comparison

Marco.
    That's not been my experience. Sound cards, A2D's etc all vary as do their analogue sections and I've only tried a couple of different digital solutions so I can't speak as to what's possible with high end A2D converters etc. Ripped versions sound grey and lifeless compared to the original straight from vinyl to me.

Ripped versions sound grey and lifeless compared to the original straight from vinyl to me.
    Indeed - no argument there... But so can a lot of commercially produced CDs - and worse in many other ways, too!

Also, a major advantage of doing your own rips is that YOU are in charge of the levels, and therefore how 'loud' the recording produced is, rather than some misguided studio engineer!

That, together with the fact that, with a vinyl source, you're dealing with an uncompressed format in the first place, means that the final results achieved can be markedly superior to those of any commercially produced CD.

That's what my ears tell me anyway

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Chris.

Indeed - no argument there... But so can a lot of commercially produced CDs - and worse in many other ways, too!

Also, a major advantage of doing your own rips is that YOU are in charge of the levels, and therefore how 'loud' the recording produced is, rather than some misguided studio engineer!

That, together with the fact that, with a vinyl source, you're dealing with an uncompressed format in the first place, means that the final results achieved can be markedly superior to those of any commercially produced CD.

That's what my ears tell me anyway

Marco.
    But looking at the actual recording techniques reveals

A study of the original desk used for TDSOTM which was the TG12345 - I am unsure of which edition of desk, it can be seen there was the availability of 2.1 and 7.1 compression used
    to mimic valve compressors the Altec EMI RS124 and the Fairchild 660. On which tracks and how it was used Alan Parsons comments

" What generally tended to happen was either no compression or compression on everything except the drums, because I totally hate—with a vengeance—compressing drums. So, although [producer] Chris Thomas wanted to compress everything, I talked him into compressing just the instruments and vocals, but not the drums". http://www.premierguitar.com/article...he_Moon?page=2

To a degree (- as you do not have access to the individual tracks , but if on all but the drums as Alan reveals ) you can recover- if indeed you can spot the tracks with compression the original sound by expanding
    at the mirror image of the compression rate at 1:2 However it will be a matter of using a suitably equipped piece of equipment usually a mastering processor.

Also of interest is Alan's comments on Page 1 of the above article “Never be frightened to add bottom end.”

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    But looking at the actual recording techniques reveals

A study of the original desk used for TDSOTM which was the TG12345 - I am unsure of which edition of desk, it can be seen there was the availability of 2.1 and 7.1 compression used
    to mimic valve compressors the Altec EMI RS124 and the Fairchild 660. On which tracks and how it was used Alan Parsons comments

" What generally tended to happen was either no compression or compression on everything except the drums, because I totally hate—with a vengeance—compressing drums. So, although [producer] Chris Thomas wanted to compress everything, I talked him into compressing just the instruments and vocals, but not the drums". http://www.premierguitar.com/article...he_Moon?page=2

To a degree (- as you do not have access to the individual tracks , but if on all but the drums as Alan reveals ) you can recover- if indeed you can spot the tracks with compression the original sound by expanding
    at the mirror image of the compression rate at 1:2 However it will be a matter of using a suitably equipped piece of equipment usually a mastering processor.

Also of interest is Alan's comments on Page 1 of the above article “Never be frightened to add bottom end.”
    Many of the Floyds albums certainly on vinyl had very deep bass which was not limited or curtailed as it was on many albums of the time. It was almost a production trade mark. Listen to the Wall vinyl version original pressings and the drum and cymbals after the helicopter bit are astounding.

Must admit when I saw them perform the Wall at Earls Court in 1979 the bass was magnificent but controlled. Their live production using quadraphonic was truly wonderful considering it was pre digital age DSP etc. I remember Rick Wright running up and down the piano in one part (not on the album) and they sent it round Earls Court in quadraphonic and it was like a train coming round and whistling past you. I was 16 and this stayed with me all my life. Sorry I digress but the Floyd at the height of their powers were indeed the best band I have ever seen, never mind the atmosphere they captured with all the visuals and pyrotechnics. Amazing days!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast