+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi fi near a radiator?

I'm Alex.

Default Hi fi near a radiator?

Having just moved house, the wall which otherwise would be ideal to position my equipment on has a rather large radiator running along it; would I encounter any problems if I were to situate my rack in front of the radiator?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    Having just moved house, the wall which otherwise would be ideal to position my equipment on has a rather large radiator running along it; would I encounter any problems if I were to situate my rack in front of the radiator?
    Hi Alex
    Not advised if the radiator is on, as amplifiers in particular and some other components tend to run warm to very warm.
    Can you perhaps move the radiator to a better position?

I'm Grant.

Not Ideal Alex. can it go to the side of radiator? Not saying anything will happen unless you are running class A, but if you do then try and have as much a gap as you can.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Alex
    Not advised if the radiator is on, as amplifiers in particular and some other components tend to run warm to very warm.
    Can you perhaps move the radiator to a better position?
    This would be the ideal but having completely blown the budget on the house there is no money left! My Croft pre seems to run quite warm but not hot and the Croft power runs very cool.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not Ideal Alex. can it go to the side of radiator? Not saying anything will happen unless you are running class A, but if you do then try and have as much a gap as you can.
    Unfortunately not, it's a sizeable beast running the full length of the wall.

I'm Grant.

You could use a reflector in front of the radiator where kit is. good ones are said to reflect up to 95% of heat. might divert it round the kit. maybe fit it to back of the unit
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andy.

Why not just turn the radiator off a few mins before listening? If you set the rack a few inches in it will help too.

I'm Phil.

can you change to a more efficient modern 2 panel rad which is smaller . say half the size . assuming yours is quite old which I am guessing it is , if it needs to run the whole length . not that expensive to redo a a rad and better long term solution
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Alex.

All good options. I think changing to a more modern radiator is the best bet long term but won't be done for quite some time. We have so many other priorities coming from a 2 up 2 down terrace to something much more substantial we're seriously lacking in furniture (only 1 bed in a 5 bed house gives you some indication!). Saying that my priorities are different to hers

After a bit of a think the updated plan is to have the hifi at the opposite side of the room from the radiator next to the bay window and the speakers either side of the bay.

I'm Geoff.

Just turn the rad off for the time being and use a free standing heater of some sort.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast