+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angle Audiophile Phono Stage

I'm Mick.

Default Angle Audiophile Phono Stage

I am currently using one of these that sounds pretty good for the price but have a minor issue. When I am not actually playing anything I can here a pulsing in my speakers like a regular thumb every second that gets louder if i turn the volume up. It can't be heard when playing music but must still be there. Also if I touch the tone arm it changes the noise. I never noticed this with my previous Phono Stage anyone any ideas ?
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Russell.

So is the platter spinning during this time? The motor turning? If not, then it's got to be some kind of ground loop hum. Try a larger ground wire from the table to the pre, and perhaps even be sure the cables from the phono pre are grounded to the main pre? Small humming is not unusual in stereo, power coming in is filthy, differences in ground potentials, and EMF coming in from the sky. Neighboring power lines? Nearby transformers? Unshielded speakers? Electric motors? It can be nerve wracking to find the source.

I'm Dave.

Hi Mick, one of my phono stages is an Angle, no noise issue as you described with it.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Grant.

Default Angle Audiophile Phono Stage

If it's a valve stage then it's not uncommon to get some very low noises in background Ive had it too. Never found out what it is
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Not a valve stage Grant, nice phono stage Battery or mains.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...io-phono-stage

I'm Dave.

Seems like a few people have had issues with them, look at the thread i have linked.

I'm Alan.

If it's a regular 'thump' every second then I guess it's not an earth loop or earthing problem.

Assuming the noise is only coming from the phono stage does it change or disappear when you change from mains (or remove the charger) to battery operation?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    Not a valve stage Grant, nice phono stage Battery or mains.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...io-phono-stage
    is it just on a battery. If it is, I had that on a bit of kit and it was the battery that was causing it. I changed to a different make and it went. was those battery packs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Dodgy capacitor?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    If it's a regular 'thump' every second then I guess it's not an earth loop or earthing problem.
    Absolutely! Thicker wires anywhere won't cure this.
    My first test would be to disconnect the turntable from the phonostage and insert shorting plugs into the phonostage's input sockets. If the thumping disappears the problem may be with the turntable. Or it may not. But I would try the shorting plugs first to see what happens.
    BTW, does the thumping only occur with the turntable spinning?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast