+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new TV? Some things to keep in mind

I'm Mike.

Default Getting a new TV? Some things to keep in mind

Members on the AoS have many different opinions about who makes the best TV, in the past i've noticed that Panasonic seemed to be a winner, with the likes of Sony and Samsung being rated as well, however ALL this has changed especially if you're in the market for a top end set.

I had a meeting with LG on Tuesday of this week and was told that ALL the screens from Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC are now LG, i.e. LG supply the LED or OLED matrix and the other manufacturers put them into their own enclosures, the only other well known company that was mentioned that doesn't use an LG screen was Philips and they are getting theirs from a Chinese firm who make displays for the low end of the market, in short if you're looking for a new TV and it's from one of the well known brands it's got LG parts inside it.

Worth baring in mind.........

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting stuff, Mike. Not sure that's necessarily good news though, as for me it smacks of 'standardisation' and a likely reduction in overall quality...

However, I think it's much like the case with hi-fi: it's all in the implementation and how stuff is set up, as despite what you say (and I'm sure it's true), the colours and picture quality on, say, a Sony TV are, to my eyes [all else being equal], rather different from those on an LG or Samsung

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

I've always liked the LG picture quality, in fact I am using a 32 inch as the monitor as I type.

Marco I would guess it is only the screen part that is LG manufactured, differences in picture resolution/hues/motion smoothing et al are going to be down to the particular 'video engine' (all the digital processing gubbins) that different TV makers use.

I'm Jerry.

Mike,
    What is your opinion of the latest type of screen-QLED?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Marco I would guess it is only the screen part that is LG manufactured, differences in picture resolution/hues/motion smoothing et al are going to be down to the particular 'video engine' (all the digital processing gubbins) that different TV makers use.
    Yup, essentially what I thought - and of course all those things play a vital role in the quality of the picture you see

I think that's an important point to remember, lest folks think that it makes no difference which TV you buy, 'cos they've all got an LG screen.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Matt.

The new Samsung screens are "QLED" which isn't OLED.
    I found last years Samsungs too bright & forceful. This years QLEDs are even brighter. The styling, frame, stand etc are nice.
    I reckon the LG's are still the ones to beat, if you have the money.
    If not, I'd go for a Sony.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    The new Samsung screens are "QLED" which isn't OLED.
    I found last years Samsungs too bright & forceful. This years QLEDs are even brighter. The styling, frame, stand etc are nice.
    I reckon the LG's are still the ones to beat, if you have the money.
    If not, I'd go for a Sony.
    Isn't that likely to be the way it is set up in the shop? Did you ask to view it in standard picture mode?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Matt.

Definitely not due to shop set up or use of demo mode/retail mode.
    I find Samsungs to focus on brightness & the colours are too forceful. It may initially grab your attention compared to say a Sony sitting next to it, but for me, the LG OLED or the Sony give finer details in darker images & more accurate, natural colours.
    Plus I think calling something QLED in the hope that punters would confuse that for OLED ( ahh yes sir, it's 2 letters better!!) is a bit crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    I find Samsungs to focus on brightness & the colours are too forceful. It may initially grab your attention compared to say a Sony sitting next to it, but for me, the LG OLED or the Sony give finer details in darker images & more accurate, natural colours.
    +1. Give me the much more natural/lifelike colours of a (properly set-up) Sony, any day!

It never ceases to amaze me how some like to look at folk with faces like 'red indians', and day-glow coloured grass, and consider that as 'right'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how some like to look at folk with faces like 'red indians', and day-glow coloured grass, and consider that as 'right'

Marco.
    HeHe. Yes. I've seen that so many times. Some folk just have not a clue!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast