+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streaming newbie advice needed.

I'm Shane.

Default Streaming newbie advice needed.

Some time ago my daughter's partner inherited my old Heybrook HB3s. He's been using them with a nondescript Wharfedale amp fed from the headphone socket of a late 2013 MacBook Pro using Spotify, but now wants to try to take things up a level. He's using my A&R A60 for the moment and I will advise on a suitable replacement, but I don't know enough about digital and streaming to advise on the input side. What is the best streaming source? What would people advise for a suitable DAC? Budget is fairly limited, but he's a handy bloke who's forgotten more about computers than I could ever hope to learn so setting up software won't be an issue. All advice gratefully accepted...
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Paul.

To see if he likes streaming, I'd suggest a Chromecast as you can plug it straight into the amp (jack to phono cable needed), then go via a DAC if you want to. It's only £30, and with a laptop and wifi you can stream almost anything to it for free - spotify, youtube, bandcamp etc... You just need Chrome on the laptop and a plugin installing.

He can always go the PI/DAC route if he likes streaming and wants to get his hands dirty.

I'm Shane.

He's already established that streaming will be the main source. He's got a chromecast, but for some reason the Mac won't talk to it, and it seems to be introducing extra stages of transmission and conversion. What I'm trying to find out is firstly, is there any difference between the various streaming sources, and secondly, what is the best way to feed the digital output of the Mac to the amp?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Does the Mac have a dual output headphone connection?
    If it does then turn on the optical output and feed it into an external DAC.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Shane.

Yes it has. Any recommendations for a suitable DAC?

I'm Grant.

smsl m6 minidac/headphone amp. also has outputs for a amplifier ie rcas. in that mode the v/c and amp inside are disconnected and its just a dac, but use the head socket and it becomes an amp too. Sounds very good too. Nice small footprint

edit.. it has usb, toslink and coax in. up to 32 bit/384 khz
    Last edited by struth; 26-01-2017 at 23:07.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    For some time I have been using my iMac using the Audirvana plus player software into a Meridian Explorer2 DAC and then my Meridian amp. Russ Andrews currently has that DAC for sale for £129 (down from £199). I love the sound the combo produces and using that DAC I can also plug it into my portable macs to use in other systems in other rooms.

BUT - over the past month I have been using a number of PI based system players and am now really unsure which I prefer. PI based systems are small, self contained, very flexible and easy to control. I have prepared a short review of 3 systems based on different products and will post it in this section sometime over the weekend.

Mel

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    As a starter one of these would be good...no need for drivers with Mac

http://hifimediy.com/U2-DAC

...and if you really want to push the boat out, get the isolator as well

http://hifimediy.com/usb-isolator

I was using one as an upgrade to the DAC on an SBTouch (kitchen system), which it certainly was...(that's now been replaced by a pi2/Audiophonics combo)
    Last edited by WAD62; 27-01-2017 at 13:11.
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread