+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossover help needed

I'm Richard.

Default Crossover help needed

Hi

I'm looking for some help or advice on buying crossover or alternatively building my own for a d.i.y speaker project. It needs to be 2-way and of high quality. The mid bass driver and tweeter I'm using is made by seas. I've included a pic of the crossover I was looking at for 38 pounds each and has a frequency crossover of 2.2 khz, however I've been told the ideal frequency for the build would be 1.8 khz. Would there be much difference between 1.8 and 2.2? The one in the picture is made by Dynavox and not sure if these are good quality.Screenshot_20170125-210814.jpg

Cheers for any help or discussion on this

I'm Richard.

Default Update

This crossover is from a pmc speaker which has 1.8khz and would be ideal. Not sure on difference in quality between this and the Dynavox
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

Do you know the model numbers and specs of the proposed drive units?

What are the impedance and sensitivity for instance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

I'm afraid there is rather more to it than that Richard. A crossover needs to be designed for a specific speaker system. To do it properly you will need access to a measuring microphone and associated electronics plus suitable software. One built with the cheapest components around but correctly designed for the drive units and cabinet will vastly outperform any generic crossover no matter what the parts quality is.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm matt.

As Jez said, you would need to take frequency response and impedance measurements of the drivers in the enclosure and then import those measurements into crossover design software to do the job properly.

Another option would be to trace the frequency response / impedance using the manufacturers data sheets (I think SPL copy or SPL trace Is the name of the software) Once you've done that you would need to import the measurement Into software that would replicate the baffle step losses.

It may be better to search for an established design that uses those particular drivers or just sell them. If you're the kind of person that wins the lottery on a regular basis, then a generic crossover may work for you. If not, I wouldn't waste your money.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'm afraid there is rather more to it than that Richard. A crossover needs to be designed for a specific speaker system. To do it properly you will need access to a measuring microphone and associated electronics plus suitable software. One built with the cheapest components around but correctly designed for the drive units and cabinet will vastly outperform any generic crossover no matter what the parts quality is.

This.

Unfortunately you cannot just buy a crossover and expect it to work with any two way system. Each woofer has it's own unique (to that model) acoustic response with frequency for a given applied voltage and current. It also has it's own unique impedance profile with frequency.

Introducing a capacitor or inductor will have a different effect, or at least magnitude of effect, in the circuit depending on the impedance and acoustic profile of the drive unit, so each louspeaker needs to have it's own bespoke crossover designed to work such that

1) woofer and tweeter are matched for sensitivity;

2) that they are crossed over at the most appropriate point and ;

3) that they are phase correct or coherent at crossover.

None of these generic crossovers sold on ebay or wherever will achieve that.

You can approximate a crossover by using manufacturer's acoustic/impedance data and T&S paraneters, but even that wont be correct for your specific cabinet as those figures are usually derived from measurements taken of a sample placed within a wide baffle measured anechoically.

As Jez says, to do it properly yourself (anything else is guesswork, which is why all professionally competent speaker builders use measurement), you need access to a calibrated measurement mic, and software to measure both impedance profile of the raw drivers, acoustic response of the raw drivers, and to use pulse or chirp short burst signals (fast sweeps or pink noise) gated to exclude room effects. The data is all then imported into a simulator of some sort (freeware by Jeff Bagby is excellent if not as sophisticated as LspCAD but is complex so you do have to know what you're doing to use it), and you design your crossover in that, build a prototype, re-measure and fine tune. Not as straightforward as some think.

Many people do "do it by ear" but it is, for all intents and purposes, shooting in the dark, unless you have the experience to know with precision how the electrical parameters interact with the known speaker measurements (these are still needed). I do know of one major loudspeaker manufacturer (everyone on here knows them and many will have owned a pair of their speakers) whose chief engineer does exactly this, then leaves some clever junior techs to fine tune in software. However, he's been doing this over 35 years and is an electronics engineer who has vast experience of designing loudspeakers.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10909 View Post
    Hi

I'm looking for some help or advice on buying crossover or alternatively building my own for a d.i.y speaker project. It needs to be 2-way and of high quality. The mid bass driver and tweeter I'm using is made by seas. I've included a pic of the crossover I was looking at for 38 pounds each and has a frequency crossover of 2.2 khz, however I've been told the ideal frequency for the build would be 1.8 khz. Would there be much difference between 1.8 and 2.2? The one in the picture is made by Dynavox and not sure if these are good quality.Screenshot_20170125-210814.jpg

Cheers for any help or discussion on this
    Think it will be a bit of a lottery, but either may well work ok. How well, and whether you like result, is only going to be found by trying a few. May well be cheaper in long run, getting the drivers and box looked at by a pro to give you an idea as to whats needed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Default Response

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post

OK thanks everyone. I have the details here. Mid bass driver is seas Prestige H1217-08 CA18RLY. It is 8 ohms and 35-3000Hz range. Sensitivity is 90db. Power handling short term 250w.

Tweeter is 6 ohms impedance and 90.5db sensitivity. With 750Hz nominal free air resonance. Nominal rdc is 4.8 ohms and power rated handling of 90watts.

Cabinet size for the speakers will approximately be 42cm in height and 20cm width and a depth of 38cm.

I'm prepared to build independent crossovers on pcb and solder the components myself if need be.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Do you know the model numbers and specs of the proposed drive units?

What are the impedance and sensitivity for instance.

Listed the driver above and tweeter is SEAS 27TDNC/GW H1451-06 there is only 0.5db difference in sensitivity. If this is no good I will look at other drivers

I'm Jez.

No amount of info on the drivers can make up for actually measuring things as so many variables come into play, as Paul outlined. Even the cabinet design can effect the crossover!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast