+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary switch LEDs for channel selection

I'm Chris.

Default Rotary switch LEDs for channel selection

I have a 3 pole 12 way rotary switch, already wired up for 3 channels, I understand there is a way to include an led to show channel selected. Could anyone do a quick sketch to show this setup?

I'm James.

If you're using a 3 Pole Switch and have 3 Channels then you might struggle.

A 4 Pole Switch would be better, the 4th Pole used for the LED's.

Jim.

I'm Chris.

Sorry Jim, I got it backwards:

4 pole ( ADC&D in centre)and 3 outer tags for each,I am using 2 of these for each channel

Edit: using 2 channels 3 rd one wired for aux, but no real intention of using it, 4th is free.
    Last edited by stree; 30-01-2017 at 20:50.

I'm James.

So you've got a 4 Pole 3 Way Switch? But are just using 2 Positions?
    You're just Switching the Signal and not the Ground also?
    So you have 2 Poles left not used?

If so, then it should be do-able.

Supply an un-used Pole with a Voltage from a Supply (+5 or +12 for example) through a Resistor (500 OHMS to 1kOHM should do) and feed the corresponding 'Outer Tag' of Position '1' to the Anode of LED 1 and the Outer Tag for Position 2 to the Anode of LED 2. Tie the Cathode of both the LED's to 0Volts and away you go!

Hope I've understood you correctly.

Jim.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    I have a 3 pole 12 way rotary switch, already wired up for 3 channels, I understand there is a way to include an led to show channel selected. Could anyone do a quick sketch to show this setup?
    Here is a sketch showing 11 LEDs selectable, via a switch that has two poles already occupied for other duty. As each input switches the LED lights to show.
    The current is given by the LM317 ( pinout is from the left with writing facing you adjustment out in ) as Vref/R ie 1.25/1500 = 8.3ma to each LED.
    If you need each LED to be less bright change the 1500 ohm for 4700 ohm ie 2.6ma - as todays LED's are very bright.
    The mosfet a 2N7000 LED switch.pdf is a nice addition if using in a hifi circuit. Suggest Voltage in should be 9v- 12V DC

I'm Chris.

Jim, I do not anticipate using a power source such as you mention, (unless there is no other option) but was led to believe that the audio signal could provide the power needed.
    Also, unclear on what you mean when you refer to the cathode of both LEDS to zero volts?? Does that mean power ground? audio ground? or something else?

I'm Chris.

LDR, thanks for that, but seems to be over engineered for what I need, plus not good at reading electrical schematics, whereas a simple sketch I can understand.............

I'm Chris.

Is this viable?

Ah problem uploading JPG............

I'm Chris.

Got it now..............Picture is similar to mine, but mine is 2 channels and straight to amp, not via volume pot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Alan.

'run the wire from the LED resistor' is the pertinent wording on that diagram.
    This indicates that there must be a power source to feed the resistor with a few volts to power the LEDs.

The forward voltage of a red LED is typically 1.8 V so an audio signal is not big enough to light it, apart from the bit of circuitry that would be necessary to provide a continuous glow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast