+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A visit to Infinitely Baffled

I'm Gary.

Firebottle wrote:
    We then opted for the MC cartridge to go direct to the Firebottle KIN input, set for MC.

This definitely gave better dynamics and a very well balanced and punchy sound with plenty of 'air' and clarity. The KIN circuit design is devoid of any bypass capacitors that can degrade the ultimate performance, so No. 1 from this list of contenders. Rather chuffed at the outcome of the shoot out.

Hmm ...
    it was indeed a very fine performance from your combined MC/MM stage, Alan. But if this is to be sold as a "shoot out" (an idea I dislike), then I will record my view and say that the Arkless Head amp through your KIN MM stage was every bit as good as your combo. Not trying to diminish it in the least, but the silence of the Arkless unit is spectacular!
    Gary.

I'm Alan.

Fair comment Gary and I'm not decrying the Arkless head amp at all. I did add:

'Jez's head amp was very good, low noise, a very open and clear sound.' Horses for courses as they say

No - I'll add to that. I'm glad you have made comment with your observations about another of the combinations of kit we went through.
    It is very much dependent on the synergy of combinations in many instances, which can alter the ultimate sound quality to the detriment.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 26-01-2017 at 14:53. Reason: Added comment

I'm Nathan.

All of that gear is really interesting to see being from the states. Aside from the 401 and the NAD amp the rest is all stuff I never run across. I'd love to hear it.

The Leak tuner is my favorite. Getting electrocuted by old radios got me into electronics. I learned the hard way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Hi Nathan, old radios as an introduction was also part of my formative learning.

I took a belt from the 350V dc of a Philips table radio, that stung. Haven't done it since

I'm Nathan.

I took more than one. My parents should have hidden the screwdrivers. I'm lucky to be around. I learned to be careful the hard way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12