+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capella: Is it a worthy upgrade

I'm Ash.

Default Capella: Is it a worthy upgrade

Hi
    I am really enjoying being good a member of this forum. It has become an invaluable source of information
    My travels here have lead me to the Beresford kit

All my music is held as flac files (ripped from my cd collection) and played using J River software on my Surface Pro.

The Pro is connected to a Schiit Modi Uber DAC. This then fed to a Schiit Magni Uber amp. Output is to my Sennheiser HD650s

All my listening is via headphones.

My question is would a change of the Magni to a Capella result in a noticeable improvement in my listening experience?

Second question is would swapping the Modi for the new CAIMAN improve things to a level that would justify the outlay?

Final question is would the CAIMAN be enough on its own, as it has a headphone jack

Thanks in advance and do hope I've posted this in the right section/ area

Ash

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm tony.

I have never heard the Schitt kit you have but it is highly regarded amongst users on head fi.

Stans Capella is a great HPA. The adjustability lets you tune it to the cans you use. I used mine with 650s and 700s and posted my settings on a thread on here if that helps.

I ran mine initially with a BM2 then upgraded to Caiman, a noticeable upgrade sonically. Though the BM2 and 650s are really well matched as a stand alone set up.

Stan has a newer Dac that improves on my Caiman-Havent tried it but the troops rate it highly.

Quite a few 650 users on here who happily use Stans kit.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Stans Capella is a great HPA. The adjustability lets you tune it to the cans you use. I used mine with 650s and 700s and posted my settings on a thread on here if that helps.
    Have you considered the Capella upgrade that will make it even quieter, and also raise it up a level or two when used with a 15V power supply? A few people on AoS have already had it fitted to theirs. PM me if you want to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_R View Post
    My question is would a change of the Magni to a Capella result in a noticeable improvement in my listening experience?

Second question is would swapping the Modi for the new CAIMAN improve things to a level that would justify the outlay?

Final question is would the CAIMAN be enough on its own, as it has a headphone jack
    The Caiman SEG headphone output is great, but cans like the HD650 can be improved upon with the use of the standard Capella. Add the modification option to that, and you'll get an even better understanding of why the HD650 is still in production when others in its price range have long gone.

I'm Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Have you considered the Capella upgrade that will make it even quieter, and also raise it up a level or two when used with a 15V power supply? A few people on AoS have already had it fitted to theirs. PM me if you want to know more.
    Pm sent. Thanks Stan.

I'm Lee.

Default Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Stan upgraded my Capella to the latest 15v version and I now have it running my Grado GS's with the 15v linear power supply, playing Tidal Master and HiFi streamed from my Mac into the Caiman SEG . I was wondering if there would be a significant difference from running the Grado's directly out of the Caiman SEG's headphone output, especially since the Grado is a sensitive headphone. I plugged the Capella in last night and immediately enjoyed a clarity that is very revealing yet so so easy to listen to. No fatigue and can listen to the faintest nuances. I can listen at any level and get enjoyment, something like the difference between sitting in the stalls or the balcony. The sounds are all there.

Today I compared back and forth between the direct Caiman SEG headphone output and the Capella 15v. Absolutely no contest. The Capella shines, top to bottom.

I'm Ash.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing, Lee

The link to more information on the Capella upgrade is available at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/capella15.htm

+ Reply to Thread