+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing a Vinyl Record

I'm Bob.

Default Repairing a Vinyl Record

Just come across this little gem from our friends on ebay:-

"One option for repairing surface scratches on a record is to use fine grit sandpaper and carefully sand the top layer of the record to remove the scratch.

This is only useful if the inner depths of the groove, where the needle reaches, are undisturbed by the scratch. Another option is to use a sewing needle or other fine point to help re-cut the groove."

I kid you not. Be careful who you buy from.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Adrian.

I think you should name the bast*rd.
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Bob.

Get past the picture of the vinyl enthusiast holding the record and it's just over half way down:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-Rep...8371629/g.html

Apologies to those who've just had their breakfast.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Grant.

Not heard that one before. You never know, it might work. old days folk used to use an old stylus and have a weight on it so it recut the top bit to stop the jump. Ive seen it done and it worked. Never tried myself.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

I've repaired warped records before, I laid it between two sheets of glass, and placed it in warm sunshine for a few minutes. As soon as the record laid flat, I took it inside where it was cool, and it was like new! I got the idea from an article I read that suggested I place it in the oven for a short time, but it was a hot Summer day and I got the idea to just go outside. As far as repairing deep scratches, sometimes you've just got to call it a day and go buy another. I don't see how a sewing needle could "cut" the Groove, it is not chisel shaped? Grant's idea may work, if you had access to an old steel needle 'table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I've repaired warped records before, I laid it between two sheets of glass, and placed it in warm sunshine for a few minutes. As soon as the record laid flat, I took it inside where it was cool, and it was like new! I got the idea from an article I read that suggested I place it in the oven for a short time, but it was a hot Summer day and I got the idea to just go outside. As far as repairing deep scratches, sometimes you've just got to call it a day and go buy another. I don't see how a sewing needle could "cut" the Groove, it is not chisel shaped? Grant's idea may work, if you had access to an old steel needle 'table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Indeed, the trick i believe is not to leave it in heat for long or record could enlarge. It doent take much to soften vinyl and it can happen quickly.
    Anyone remember the old valve radiograms.. if you left the record on platter for too long the heat from valves underneath warped record.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

I'm Alan.

The sand paper thing does sound crazy to me, I recon it would cause more audable damage maybe they mean something like 2000 wet & dry ?.
    I have thought about repairing a scratch before using a microcoscope and a fine scalpel guess it could be possible if you have the steady hand of a brain surgion
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Dimitris.

I laughed... a lot... No energy to do anything more meaningful like sending an email to the author or starting an argument.

If someone is stupid enough to use sand paper on a record and expect it to have anything but a devastating effect, then he deserves anything that happens to his records...

A few years back I remember people suggesting UB40 to eliminate surface noise. That worked all right... Especially when UB40 turned to wax. The noise was removed... Along with 80% of the music

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    A few years back I remember people suggesting UB40 to eliminate surface noise. That worked all right... Especially when UB40 turned to wax. The noise was removed... Along with 80% of the music

I agree. UB40 have done little for music.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast