+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The time has come, hi there!

I'm Coen.

Default The time has come, hi there!

Hi all,

For over 30 years I have a passion for music and audio gear. It started with singles, LP's and cassettetapes in my teens up till now exploring de dungeons of digital audio. After quite a long stable period I am now in transition with new speakers, amplifiers and a fresh look at the virtues of vinyl audio.

For those interested I will disclose my philosophy, history and current system below:

Speakers and amplifiers:

My first audiophile system consisted of SPICA-TC50s with the Musical Fidelity A1 “cooking plate” amplifier. What a synergetic combination! I’ve also auditioned tube amplifiers back in the day: what a great sound, but those were out of the question financially. After ten years of service the amps were cooked ready and I needed new amps (I was not into kitting, modding and repairing back then) and decided to go for the tubes. In the day these were still unaffordable for me so I build them myself from a local 300B kit. The search for efficient speakers ended with my diy Altec VOTTs wich lasted for almost 20 years in the system. Triode gems and efficient speakers rock my boat!
    The Altecs have provided for much enjoyment but I decided that I wanted something a tad smaller so that the system can fit in a smaller room. They are sold now and now I am enjoying a bespoke set of Bastanis Mandala Duo speakers with alnico drivers (100dB+). What a great speaker this is! Sound is already superb with my intermediate and compromised SE EL95 amplifier but I expect it to be stellar with to-be-build Transcendent OTL amplifiers or the non-plus-ultra SE amp I have in my sleeve (diy of course).

Digital:

I can remember the introduction of the CD payer which I first heard at a Philips venue. I was very impressed with the sound and decided to purchase one, but finally at home it sounded nowhere as good as the demo unit. This difference has been haunting me of years and though my Rega Planet and Luxman CD players sounded quite good I really recreated excellent digital sound at the introduction of “computer audio” in my system. For a long time now I’ve been experimenting to explore the limits of what’s possible. Now I’ve been forced to ‘outsource’ this to PeterSt of Phasure, who does an excellent job in finding another level all the time. Dac is NOS1a with matching Music player PC and is my main source and ultimate reference.

Vinyl:

This is less of a successtory as my digital, speaker and amplifier adventures. I never forgot the sound of my old cheap Akai turntable. Not the kind of clean high end sound of digital but the exiting, fat, thrusting and organic flow that it was able to reproduce. I also missed the recordcovers, smell and needle-in-the-groove ritual of vinyl playing. If there is anything I would like more from digital it is that substance of the old deck. So I decided to reenter vinyl around 2008 with a Technics SL-1200-mk5 on sale. Over the years I’ve been modding this deck, but ultimately to no definitive success. Another opportunity knocked two years ago when a friend pointed me to a Thorens TD-124 with SME 3009-S2 arm. This deck is better at recreating my vinyl dream sound yet I am always zooming in the cartridge every time I play. The arm is prime suspect since it is very finicky about setup and cartridge.
    Now for the fun of it I will be picking up the SL-1200 and explore its untapped potential. The SL-1200 has a stock arm replaced after poor and unsatisfying results with both a modded Rega RB-300 (too "live") and a Jelco 750ST (too "dull").
    Phono stages are a Lounge Audio LCR and a superb bespoke LCR tubed phono (unfortunately on loan). Carts have been Dynavector DV17D2 MK2/3 (two destroyed by the sleeve of my pullover, so no more expensive carts for me anymore) and are at present a Dynavector 10x5, a DL-103 and a superb grace F9 with ordinary cantilever and stylus.

I hope to meet you in the threads,

regards, Coen

I'm Grant.

Hi Coen. Welcome to the forum. Sure you will find it helpful. Ps the sme isnt fiddly..its pretty simple tbh once you get your bearings ive found anyway and hard to beat at pricepoint. In many cases the phono stage will determine how nice a sound you get
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Coen.

Thanks Grant!

Well, part of the SME fiddling is about using it out of spec. My most used carts have tracking forces from 1.7 grams on. It appears the SME has been designed for lower tracking forces of 1.5 grams and less. Also the anti skating weight is a little on the light side and likes to keep swinging after a small push. The VTA screw at the base is a bitch to twist even with the proper imperial hex driver (origin of inability to zoom in the cart definitely).
    I've got no good way to balance the knife bearings, have to look into that. Patience and craftsmanship are key to setting up these arms.

regards, Coen

I'm Grant.

Know what you mean.. I use mine out of spec too.. most folk I guess do. set to float with rider at 0 and then add a gram with the backweight. then your good up to 2.5 gm. If you use a heavy head/cart combo then you can add a magnetic balance weight to the one there. Ive got one that I used to use. Magnet doesnt interfere with mc carts either. Guess unless your happy to spent a LOT of bread then there has to be little compromises. It still sounds great though.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Coen. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've been having plenty of fun with your Hi-Fi.

Have a look around the site, there's plenty going on.

Feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Coen.

Thanks guys,

lost a few hairs in the process too!

regards, Coen

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread