+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Croft pre/power amplifier latest

I'm Shaun.

That's OK Wazz...
    It's a very good idea and also a cheap one...! A set of 30mm control knobs may make all the difference between 1mm movement and 3mm's of movement. I've just checked out the price at HiFi Collective and they're about twelve quid each plus VAT. I call that quite a nice upgrade and they just have to look a lot better than the standard knobs.

I'm ChrisB.

I did that in the past with the knob on the record level of a tape deck - allowing me to be much, much more precise when setting levels on very dynamic music - worked a treat but looked really stupid, cos the knob was h u g e

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I did that in the past with the knob on the record level of a tape deck - allowing me to be much, much more precise when setting levels on very dynamic music - worked a treat but looked really stupid, cos the knob was h u g e
    What's this about big knobs ???????(Ooerrrrrrr - Missus !!!!).

Chris

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

For Gawds sake. ASK GLENN!!!!!!!!!

The basic Micro 25 looks to have a very simple line stage and if changing a couple of resistors doesn't meet with approval, then SURELY there are suitable lower gain (and therefore lower microphony?) line valves that could be easily used and, hopefully, just a drop-in replacement for what's there.......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Greg.

First post here, so I hope it's vaguely constructive.
    I recently bought a croft micro 25 (not the basic) and was immediately impressed with the clarity and openess of this pre. I did however encounter the problem of too high gain and an inability (for me) to accurately set the dual volume.
    I contacted glen who simply suggested that the feedback resistor on the line stage could be changed from 470k to 100k to reduce the gain, which he would do if I wished.
    I assume the topology of the micro will be similar and that the same solution will apply to this unit too.

I'm Richard.

Not sure it is relevant, but I recently sent a 2nd hand purchased Croft Micro II to Glenn to have the output stage updated to his most current design (along with a check up). While there is a difference between line and phono (PU) volume usage ranges, it is not a problem for me (50% usable for line input, 70% for phono).

I'm a very happy bunny with my purchase

Richard

I'm Lars.

Congrats Dowser.

And I just found a Croft Twinstar II power amp (plexi front, blue diode). WOW! What a unit. Precise, clear, tight and huge sound. I'm really impressed with this unit and it goes well with my Vita.
    Lars.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Sssshhh, they'll all want one
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678