+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: where to go next with speakers

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    The suggestions made so far are extremely diverse: at one extreme the Klipsch model the other the Maggies. I think you need to clarify what you are looking for in a speaker. Your IPL transmission lines will have a weighty low end response but like most TL designs are probably not that agile in the bass. I have found Klipsch speakers to be impressive on first hearing but could not live with their "shouty" dynamics. I disagree with the comment that you should avoid floor standers. In reality, they take up no more floor space than a "bookshelf" on substantial stands. Yes your room is not that big but it is large enough to accomodate any of the speakers suggested here. If I were starting out in hifi again I would probably go for the modern equivalent of my 40 year old Rogers LS35a speakers and choose something like the Kef LS50s. These will sound completely different from your IPLs but come very close to the best features of panel and electrostatic speakers in a box design. Even if you do not go for the LS50s it is worth trying to get a home demo to determine whether you can get on with a fast detailed modern speaker compared to your current speakers. I would also see if you can hear a pair of Maggies with your own amp.
    I guess the highlighted text above sums up the IPS' reasonably well, id like to hope that I could get something that has a slightly tighter more controlled bottom end and that are possibly smaller in size and visually attractive.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I guess the highlighted text above sums up the IPS' reasonably well, id like to hope that I could get something that has a slightly tighter more controlled bottom end and that are possibly smaller in size and visually attractive.
    In that case I would suggest you start by hearing a pair of LS50s on good stands in your room. They are polar opposites to your IPLs and in that respect will help you better determine what is important to you in a speaker.

I'm Nathan.

Floor standers work fine in a small room. Having forward firing woofers makes dealing with bass response easier in my opinion.

That said. I'm not a big fan of transmission line speakers. I think it's an interesting gimmick, but doesn't compare to actually moving some air. Multi driver speakers are easier to tune to compensate for imbalances in frequency response.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Rega rx3 gets a good name as does the sonus faber toy towers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Agreed that floorstanders take up the same floor space as stand mounts but floorstanders can have serious integration issues in smaller rooms. That is one of the reasons I am now considering stand mounts in my 14' by 20' room. I do not consider this room OK for floorstanders.
    Exactly my experience too, in the past.

Plenty of enthusiastic suggestions that have worked well for folks in their environments and systems, that is not necessarily going to work in yours.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nathan.

14' x 20' isn't exactly a small listening room. Which wall are you planning on putting the speakers on? I'm assuming the 14' one.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm tony.

Ben,
    What about Frugel 3s that Steve at Electric beach makes. Would fit your parameters regards placement and your music taste/cost. Steve makes them to order finish wise.

They do sound staging and delicacy very close to 57s with a bass quality and quantity that is way beyond what you would expect.

I'm Paul.

Ben

I can ask the people coming to mine next month if they have any speakers they would bring, it might be useful for you.

I'm Ben.

Yes speakers will be on the slightly smaller wall firing down the longer length of the room.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Martin.

The room is 18 x 12 isn't it? That is not that small in UK terms. If it will take big IPLs then it will cope with most floorstanders. A lot of them go no lower in the bass than a big standmount anyway. I don't agree that you can just lump speakers into floor or stand mount anyway. Way too much variation.

You could consider some Yamaha NS1000M. In budget, agile bass, need to be close to a wall.

I'd avoid a two and a half way like the Klipsch. I think you will find that a step back from what you have in terms of midrange clarity.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast