+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: where to go next with speakers

I'm Ben.

Default where to go next with speakers

Hi all I'm looking for some advice on some new (to me) speakers. My current IPL TL speakers are great but I've had them about 3 years now and I fancy a change, however im not sure what I should be thinking of auditioning. So here's a few statements on my current set up

My room is approx. 5 x 4 m with a 2.8m high ceiling.
    The speakers will fire down the longer length of the room
    They will need to function well with minimal space behind them (600mm max maybe).
    It would be ideal if they were no more than 300 to 400mm wide due to constraints of surrounding kit.
    I am open to the use of floor or stand mount speakers. Ideally they would be visually appealing too.
    I listen to a wide variety of music from jazz to funk to rock to hip hop and dance.
    I do not listen at terribly loud levels due to thin walls / neighbours.
    Id like a realistic presentation with nothing OTT but good soundstage and imaging.
    Speakers will be used with a big S/S amp (jungson JA88d) initially though this may also change in time.
    My budget is £800 for new or 2nd hand but must include stands if necessary. If I could find a new speaker offered on a 0% interest deal id happily go north of £1200 but not by much.

Sorry if this is all rather general but I guess im just looking for some decent pointers so ive got an idea what to consider. So far been scanning the classifieds and ebay but apart from some local PMC floorstanders I've not seen much that's really floated my boat. I do like the look of the Quad S4 speaker but don't know if they are any good, my local hifi shop is trying to get a demo pair in for me to listen to but they are not sure when that will be.

Anyway any advice will be of great help.

cheers,

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Hi all I'm looking for some advice on some new (to me) speakers. My current IPL TL speakers are great but I've had them about 3 years now and I fancy a change, however im not sure what I should be thinking of auditioning. So here's a few statements on my current set up

They will need to function well with minimal space behind them (600mm max maybe).
    It would be ideal if they were no more than 300 to 400mm wide due to constraints of surrounding kit.
    I am open to the use of floor or stand mount speakers. Ideally they would be visually appealing too.
    I listen to a wide variety of music from jazz to funk to rock to hip hop and dance.
    Id like a realistic presentation with nothing OTT but good soundstage and imaging.
    Speakers will be used with a big S/S amp (jungson JA88d) initially though this may also change in time.
    My budget is £800 for new or 2nd hand but must include stands if necessary. If I could find a new speaker offered on a 0% interest deal id happily go north of £1200 but not by much.

Sorry if this is all rather general but I guess im just looking for some decent pointers so ive got an idea what to consider. So far been scanning the classifieds and ebay but apart from some local PMC floorstanders I've not seen much that's really floated my boat. I do like the look of the Quad S4 speaker but don't know if they are any good, my local hifi shop is trying to get a demo pair in for me to listen to but they are not sure when that will be.

cheers,

Ben
    Superb speaker! Owned a pair before I purchased my Maggie 1.7s. Assuming your amp is OK with low impedance speakers it looks as if it has the muscle to drive them. They will work fine with 2 feet of space behind them and being a panel will not project as far into the room as a box speaker. You may even find you can pull them a bit further into the room. If not they respond well to a bit of simple room treatment on the wall behind (i.e. curtains or an inexpensive Ikea rug as a wall hanging). The owner has followed my Magnepan upgrade path and looks to have taken care of them well. With the original packing and an outer cocoon of bubble wrap they should ship safely.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...78678-172-1794
    Last edited by Sherwood; 23-01-2017 at 12:23.

I'm Geoff.

cheers,

Ben
    Sorry, just noticed they are only for collection. You might see if the owner will ship or why not have a trip to Germany!

I'm Alan.

I've got these for sale at the moment:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...(quasi-ribbon)

Within budget and exceptional imaging
    Will work well with 600mm space behind them.

I'm Ben.

cheers for the suggestions so far...............I know nothing about the Maggie's so I'm off to investigate further.

Keep em coming folks
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Geoff.

cheers for the suggestions so far...............I know nothing about the Maggie's so I'm off to investigate further.

Keep em coming folks
    They suffer from the usual problems of stupid US exchange rates and shipping costs. However, even then, they are one of the best bargains in Hifi! With adequate amplification they offer a phenomally realistic presentation. Superb detail, lightning fast transients, class leading imaging, and realistic tonality. With a good amp, bass is solid and of good quality with excellent presentation of timbre. The MG12 is about 2/3 of the size of the 1.6 and more domestically acceptable to some. However, the 1.6 is the better speaker if your room can accommodate it.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 23-01-2017 at 16:53.

I'm Ian.

My recommendation would be a pair of Neat Motive SX2 speakers.

I've had quite a few speakers through here over the years including Proac Responses (SC1, 2.5, 1.5) and big Dynaudios but the Neats are the first to achieve two things, great sound and wife approval
    The top is sweet, detail superb and even the bass is a surprise from such small cabinets. Downward firing ports mean they work well not far out from the wall, mine are about 60cm out and have a superb soundstage, deep and wide. My room is a little bigger than yours so should work fine for you.
    Dimensions are (HxWxD) 765/160/200mm so well within your requirements.
    OK, new they are nearly £1500 but they pop up on ebay from time to time and I paid considerably less than that last year. (Mine are not for sale )

Good hunting

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    My recommendation would be a pair of Neat Motive SX2 speakers.

I've had quite a few speakers through here over the years including Proac Responses (SC1, 2.5, 1.5) and big Dynaudios but the Neats are the first to achieve two things, great sound and wife approval
    The top is sweet, detail superb and even the bass is a surprise from such small cabinets. Downward firing ports mean they work well not far out from the wall, mine are about 60cm out and have a superb soundstage, deep and wide. My room is a little bigger than yours so should work fine for you.
    Dimensions are (HxWxD) 765/160/200mm so well within your requirements.
    OK, new they are nearly £1500 but they pop up on ebay from time to time and I paid considerably less than that last year. (Mine are not for sale )

Good hunting
    I must admit that the Neats are something im v interesting in hearing so thanks for the recommendation.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm richard.

cheers,

Ben
    Used to know a person who owned IPL speakers. Deffo dem, if in budget, ATC new range of SCMs. I've heard the previous models and they are great with a gutsy amplifier.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm paul.

Zu omen or the more expensive models. I have mine in a tiny room less than a foot from back wall and almost touching the side walls. Room is well treated mind but is very small. Contact Zu and tell them the size of your room and amplifier and they will tell you what will work best. Quite rare used and not cheap new but well worth buying.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast