+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply - using SilmicII or Nichicon KZ in CD Player

I'm Sam.

Default Power Supply - using SilmicII or Nichicon KZ in CD Player

Hello

I am upgrading my Technics SL-PG440A. I already replaced the opamp to OPA1642 ( IC891) which was very noticeable over the old BA4560 . I dared not mesh with the other opamp ( IC802) right after the DAC. Not much about the OPA1642 on the net, i got it due to it being cheap at the time.

The power supply largest capacitors are 2200uf 16v - I was going to try Nichicon KS, then I realised that there is now 2200uf 16v SilmicII available? Would they suit the PSU or best to stick with the Nichion KS or other PSU cap?

Thanks Regards
    Sam

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Neil.

Use Panasonic FC for your power supply caps. Better characteristics in this application such as ultra low ESR and long life. Cheaper too.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 23-01-2017 at 08:52.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

I have a pile of tiny Oscon caps lying around can send you some for your digital chips decoupling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Use Panasonic FC for your power supply caps. Better characteristics in this application such as ultra low ESR and long life. Cheaper too.
    I have a pile of tiny Oscon caps lying around can send you some for your digital chips decoupling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Hi Neil
    Thank you again for the help with chosing the power caps. Do you prefer Sanyo oscons for the digital chips (DAC clock etc) over SilmicII? I have some red cerafines also. Thank you for the offer of the Oscons

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Neil.

As a general rule:

Panasonic FC for main PSU caps (both analogue & digital)
    OS-CON for digital chips decoupling (22uf, bigger is not better here)
    Silmic for analogue decoupling or for analogue power supplies of DACs, or in the signal path (I would rather use a film cap in the signal path though)

I'm Dimitris.

For PSU filters I prefer the newer Panasonic FR (or Nichicon UHW if I want bigger values like 4700uF @25V).
    Just be careful not to put them (or any other low ESR cap) after a series regulator like LM78xx or LM317. They will oscillate.

About Oscon or other polymer caps, as Yomanze said, they work perfectly for local chip decoupling.

About silmic, I use them only if a low ESR is not suitable.
    For signal AC coupling I prefer plastic.

I'm Sam.

Hi Neil,
    Thank you for explaining. There is a website by a technition, who rates the Oscons 10/10 for digital decouping. That would mean all the Electrolytes around the dac 330uf x2 and 100u 6.3x 1 would use Os-cons?

For films i have Mundoft Evo Oil 4.7uf ? - 22uf BP ouput are the stock. I like to use films also for the ouput.

As a general rule:

Panasonic FC for main PSU caps (both analogue & digital)
    OS-CON for digital chips decoupling (22uf, bigger is not better here)
    Silmic for analogue decoupling or for analogue power supplies of DACs, or in the signal path (I would rather use a film cap in the signal path though)
    Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    For PSU filters I prefer the newer Panasonic FR (or Nichicon UHW if I want bigger values like 4700uF @25V).
    Just be careful not to put them (or any other low ESR cap) after a series regulator like LM78xx or LM317. They will oscillate.

About Oscon or other polymer caps, as Yomanze said, they work perfectly for local chip decoupling.

About silmic, I use them only if a low ESR is not suitable.
    For signal AC coupling I prefer plastic.
    Hi Dimmy
    Thank you for seconding the Oscon. Cool, Panasonic have new capacitors. I noticed the dac i bought from a friend who manufactuers them has Pano FC and FM mixed with Nichicon FG in the PSU.

I'm Dimitris.

The bad thing with FRs is that they have no brand identifiers on the jacket. You might have them on a board and not even know it unless you check for the FR. You might even mistake them for cheap Chinese stuff.

I'm Simon.

Check out the newer metal casr organic polymer caps from sanyo and other vendors..
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

Those caps around the MASH DAC look bigger than usual. Wonder why. I think it is to bring a richer sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast