+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Valves for phono stage

I'm Justin.

They are rubbish mate. Real pussy boy valves.

Can they withstand 900G? My 5R4WGA valves can. Do they work at 60,000 feet?

Check it out: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...7/5/5R4WGA.pdf

No?

Keep tryin'

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Btw, as a small aside, I also replaced the CV449/85A2 voltage regulator valve in the Croft, as part of my 'freshening up' programme. I know that these shouldn't make a difference as, technically, they're not in the signal path, but I always find when rolling them that subtle improvements (or not) can be heard between different types.

So I ordered one of these English Electric ones from Colomor Valves:

Details here (89 more available, so plenty in stock): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3707918656...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Turns out this company has some history and were taken over by GEC in 1968, see here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...ompany_id=8417 The valves themselves are fully NOS, and come beautifully packaged in their original boxes. I suspect that they're 1970s vintage.

Anyway, how do they sound? In a word: wonderful!

In comparison with the NOS Sylvania CV449 I was using beforehand, the English Electric produced a notably more open and 'liquid' midrange, with gorgeous tonal textures and increased detail retrieval. Furthermore, the soundstage/imaging of the Croft seems to have become even more 'widescreen' than before, with music, and particular female vocals, now enveloped in a 'cavernous chasm of clarity', thus increasing their 'intimacy' and believability accordingly.

Honestly, for £6 this is an instantaneous quick, cheap, and very effective tweak for all Croft preamps featuring the use of this particular voltage regulator valve. Highly recommended!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    They are rubbish mate. Real pussy boy valves...
    As a confirmed "pussy boy" they'll suit me just fine, then!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As a confirmed "pussy boy" [still got the hairs stuck between my teeth to prove it ] they'll suit me just fine, then!

Marco.
    She doesn't shave then

Why do I have this funny feeling that if I dropped a 5R4WGA rectifier on the floor, glass side down, it'd smash?

Probably because it's a big bugger! Rather like the Mullard 5U4G rectifier tubes I use in the Copper amp.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Just as a general point there is a good case for buying mil spec valves. Based on my experience, they almost invariably turn out to be very good.

I'm James.

Have the new valves settled in yet Marco, how do they sound?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Lol... They haven't arrived yet, mate. Remember, they're coming from the States

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... They haven't arrived yet, mate. Remember, they're coming from the States

Marco.
    Forgot
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Thumbs up The Raytheons have now landed chez-moi

After much waiting (delay in shipping, and at customs once they'd landed in the UK) the valves arrived today. Got stung for £25 taxes and import duty, but hey-ho, such is life, and for me it still makes what I've paid a billy-bargain, as these are RARE, (very early) vintage tubes, and in near-mint condition. I've seen similar vintage Tung-Sols and Brimars sell for considerably more, and for me these Raytheons are in a similar league.

Although I bought these for use in the Croft's phono stage, I first of all wanted to see what they sounded like in the line stage. So I replaced my current NOS (metal-based) military spec Russian 6N9S Melz [6SL7 equivalents - the most desirable versions too, with the anode holes] with them, which are superb sounding valves, and up until now my favourites in that application.

First impressions were of a very detailed presentation, but definitely not of the 'etched' or bright variety; indeed the tonal balance of these tubes is very well-judged indeed, with no false emphasis I could detect on any part of the frequency range, and as a result possessed no obvious 'sonic signature'.

Therefore, they don't sound 'valvey' or warm, or 'bright and sparkly', but with no finesse or little depth, as is the case with 95% of modern production valves, or like anything else for that matter: they just sound 'right', and thus free from 'edge' or grain. In that respect, I often find the best components, of any description, are those that don't superimpose their sound signature onto all aspects of the music, thus making themselves 'heard' whether you like it or not, rather like that boisterous little boy in your class at school, who loved the sound of his own voice rather too much for his own good!

No, these 1945-vintage VT-229s are rather less uncouth, plying you with their (considerable) charms somewhat more subtly, but very effectively, consequently making your favourites tunes 'get underneath your skin' more by successfully teasing out more emotion from the musical performance, which results in you feeling more 'connected' with the whole listening experience - all of which makes spinning tunes highly enjoyable and musically rewarding.

The Raytheons do that simply by virtue of the effortless and highly revealing way they go about their job of processing the music signal, without imbuing it with any obvious form of coloration, sounding suitably 'wide-open' and expansive, so as to make all forms of music sound believable, and associated voices and instruments dynamic and lifelike.

As good as the previous Russian tubes were, these VT-229s are in a different league, sonically and musically, and display all the characteristics I've grown to appreciate over the years from the best NOS varieties, and so have now taken up permanent residence in Croft, performing the task of line duties. Highly recommended, if you can find some!

I will try them in the phono stage next and see how they compare with the smoked glass NOS RCAs (of a similar vintage), currently in there, and report back. If they're better than those too, then I'll have a real dilemma on my hands!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast