+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Valves for phono stage

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I have concluded the same. Your experience on eBay is sadly common where folk are taking advantage of the protection afforded by PayPal.

There are some specific tubes I've been searching for a number of years - and I've only seen on eBay USA, perhaps you can help?

In regards to prices some tubes fetch, I and I'm sure most here feel it's incongruous to what we do, there were some UK dealers now long retired who didn't subscribe to this, I spoke with them personally and it was refreshing to hear that these are merely components in a circuit and nothing more. But those guys are long gone and so are those views.
    If you need something, I'm happy to look. I have more than I'll ever use, and know several other local people who do as well.

For the most part I think tubes are tubes as long as you're using quality ones. Some of the ones they sell as rare are just common tubes with another manufacturer's name printed on them. There are some tubes that are worth the premium. They are just part of a circuit, but sometimes the perfect circuit doesn't make the best sound. Some are more durable.

I'm Manny.

Cheers Nathan, that would really help. The exact type I'm looking for I've posted here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...s-matched-pair

And likewise if there are some you're interested in then I'd be happy to help

Nearly forgot there are some others - I'll PM you

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    I was talking about the VT-229s. I always use the NOS ones too, but I have a stockpile acquired from retired repairmen. I never use the really expensive ones in any of my personal stuff. I'll put them in someone else's if they want. I usually end up trading them for stuff I want with other people around town. I think the prices some of those things go for on eBay are insane, and I wouldn't feel right selling them for those prices. I've been burned on eBay so many times I don't like selling anything on there anymore. FedEx managed to take the transformers off a tube amp without opening the box once according to the buyer.
    In terms of the stockpile, nice one, you're lucky! I also know what you mean about crazy prices for NOS tubes on ebay... Fortunately, I've got enough experience now to be able to sift through the dross and overpriced rip-offs, and cherry-pick the gems, which *are* still available, such as the Raytheons and RTs I've obtained recently.

I also enjoy finding such stuff and using top-notch tubes that are unusual/rare, especially when 95% of the time they sound superb. Virtually no part of my system is bog standard or 'off the shelf', and I rather like that, as I hate having the same things as every other Tom, Dick or Harry.

That's just me though, and it's as big a part of many other aspects of my life, as it is my hi-fi exploits!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nathan.

The stockpile has way too many rectifiers. I don't know what I'll ever do with all of those.

The 6V6GT is becoming the oddball tube nobody is using anymore, and it's one of my favorites. I like using the encased ones that look like solid state rectifiers too. Nobody ever recognizes those anymore.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    The stockpile has way too many rectifiers. I don't know what I'll ever do with all of those.
    If you've got any nice GZ34s going for a good price, let me know!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Cheers Nathan, that would really help. The exact type I'm looking for I've posted here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...s-matched-pair

And likewise if there are some you're interested in then I'd be happy to help

Nearly forgot there are some others - I'll PM you
    I know I have quite a few of the Sylvania version. I'll have to check on the Tung-Sols. I might have them.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you've got any nice GZ34s going for a good price, let me know!

Marco.
    I'm positive I have some of those. Are you putting them in a guitar amp, or a HiFi setup.

Which do you think, lol? I ain't no musician!

Anyway, PM me and let me know what you have. Cheers

Marco.
    Main System

Well, the NOS La Radiotechnique ECC83s arrived today, beautifully packed and in perfect condition. So I've just popped one into the Croft.... All I can say at the moment is OMG!!

More later, as I get fully used to the sound of the RTs, but I can tell you right now, these babies are veritable game-changers!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Manny.

Looking forward to reading how you find these Marco, especially in comparison to the M8137, which are dynamic and remain my preference so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast