+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing a snapped cantilever

I'm Nathan.

Default Replacing a snapped cantilever

I'm just wondering how much it would cost to replace a snapped cantilever on a Denon 103 also who carries out this type of service?

Thanks in advance.

I'm Charlie.

Lots of people can fix this

Expert Stylus Co (ESCO)
    Northwest Analogue
    Goldring
    Soundsmith in the USA
    Roberto Torlai in Italy
    plus a few others

None of them will be able to do this for less than the cost of a new standard 103. But if you want a more exotic cantilever and stylus profile, it might be worth it. Depends on whether you are a fan of the 103 or whether you are hankering for other MC carts such as a ZYX or a SPU.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Lots of people can fix this

Expert Stylus Co (ESCO)
    Northwest Analogue
    Goldring
    Soundsmith in the USA
    Roberto Torlai in Italy
    plus a few others

None of them will be able to do this for less than the cost of a new standard 103. But if you want a more exotic cantilever and stylus profile, it might be worth it. Depends on whether you are a fan of the 103 or whether you are hankering for other MC carts such as a ZYX or a SPU.
    Thank you for the reply. It's just I was offered the 103 for £10 and I thought it might be a bargain.
    I think I will leave it if it's going to cost approximately that much.
    Thanks again.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Thank you for the reply. It's just I was offered the 103 for £10 and I thought it might be a bargain.
    I think I will leave it if it's going to cost approximately that much.
    Thanks again.
    Some people will say that an upgraded 103 is excellent with a new cantilever and decent stylus instead of the venerable conical tip. £10 for a knackered 103 is cheap. A rebuilt 103 with a modern stylus profile will be as good as most £500-1000 MC carts.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Some people will say that an upgraded 103 is excellent with a new cantilever and decent stylus instead of the venerable conical tip. £10 for a knackered 103 is cheap. A rebuilt 103 with a modern stylus profile will be as good as most £500-1000 MC carts.
    cheers mate. I've decided to buy it and maybe get it fixed when I get some spare funds.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

I'm Stuart.

I followed the same path with a 103r and had Soundsmith fit a new alloy cantilever (to keep the 'Denon' voice) and elliptical tip for better tracking - it works on both counts and I consider it money well spent.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    I followed the same path with a 103r and had Soundsmith fit a new alloy cantilever (to keep the 'Denon' voice) and elliptical tip for better tracking - it works on both counts and I consider it money well spent.
    What sort of price did they charge if you don't mind me asking.

+ Reply to Thread