+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with turntable servicing/repairs in London and Sarf East?

I'm Loz.

Default Help with turntable servicing/repairs in London and Sarf East?

Morning all.

Could anyone point me to a good place or person to take a look at my Thorens in the Londonish area? It's developed a channel dropping problem and I lack the requisite skills/knowledge to attempt it myself.

It had been very intermittently dropping out for a short while but seems permanent now. I don't believe it's the amp as when I switch cables around the drop out changes sides. I have checked the connections on the Phono jacks too and they seem to be in good shape. These were new as part of an initial service when I first got the Thorens a couple of years ago. However the cables themselves I think are original. Might be a problem there I guess?

I have been using Audio Gold in Crouch End over the last few years but have lost confidence a little with them recently. I will use them in a case of needs must, however thought I could maybe keep it in (AoS) house!

Any help/assistance pointing me in the right direction greatly appreciated and Tea, Coffee, Cakes, Biscuits, Beer or Wine in addition to payment awaits anyone willing to take a look. Thanks folks.

Regards

Loz

I'm Geoff.

Check the tag clips going to the back of the cartridge. They can come loose and cause the problem you describe. You just need a pair of tweezers and a little care.

Whereabouts in London are you?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Have you got an ohm meter ? If not a simple test with one will locate the issue. Can get one from eBay for a couple of quid.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Check the tag clips going to the back of the cartridge. They can come loose and cause the problem you describe. You just need a pair of tweezers and a little care.

Whereabouts in London are you?
    Thanks Geoff. Will look at that first. I'm in Walthamstow E17. Have car can travel!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Have you got an ohm meter ? If not a simple test with one will locate the issue. Can get one from eBay for a couple of quid.

I don't Oliver. Bear with me. Something lke this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-dom...ip0aAiLL8P8HAQ

Bigman80 Guest

That's the job. Take your cartridge tags off the cartridge first the connect the ohm meter to the red tag and the red RCA center pin and it'll beep (if it has that function)if there is a connection. This will indicate no break in the signal line. Do the same whit the white tag and RCA. If one doesn't beep then you've found the issue. If they both beep then it's not the tonearm. Simple.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Thanks Geoff. Will look at that first. I'm in Walthamstow E17. Have car can travel!
    If you get stuck, there a branch of 'Audio T' in Enfield, not far from you. They are usually helpful people.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Loz.

Excellent, thanks fellas. I checked and the clips make good contact at the cartridge. Just been to Halfords and picked up a multimeter for £7.99 so will give the testing a crack this evening. Will give and update later.

I'm Loz.

So....I'm back at home. Not sure what setting the meter should be. It has settings of 200, 2000, 20k, 200k and 2000k? This meter doesn't have a beep function so what reading would I be looking for in that case?

Cheers for now.

Loz
    Last edited by HackneyRF; 22-01-2017 at 19:45.

I'm Loz.

So following on from some reading i managed to test the circuit between the headshell leads and the RCA plugs. All good. So that points to the cartridge being suspect. In terms of testing that, any reason why i can't swap over the left and right headshell leads to the cartridge to see if the drop out switches sides? Or Is it safe to test the cartidge using the multimeter?

Cheers

Loz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast