+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka and analogue studio glass mat

I'm Con.

Default Nagaoka and analogue studio glass mat

Has anyone tried a glass mat on a stock techy platter as it has a raised outer lip which won't let the glass mat sit flat on the platter. Would a 1mm cork mat or some other material under the glass mat do the job or will it defeat the purpose of the glass mat sitting straight on the platter and losing it's sonic properties any input would be very helpful.

I'm Mick.

I am using one of these with good results. I sometimes put a slip Matt underneath that softens the sound slightly. It goes right to the edge of the technics platter and is pretty thick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291432791139

Analogue Studio Crystal Glass Turntable Platter Mat

I'm Con.

Hi Mick thanks for your input , have you tried it against other mats? What would you say are the benefits of using a glass mat compared to other materials , if there is any benefits.

I'm Neil.

I think using an Oyaide BR one might work well under a glass mat. Not tried that yet myself under glass, but it does work well under metal mats.
    Regards Neil

I'm Con.

Hi Neil do you know what material BR one is made from? What about 1mm DELRIN that would be something to think about

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Maouna View Post
    Hi Neil do you know what material BR one is made from? What about 1mm DELRIN that would be something to think about
    Its butyl rubber. Works well with the Oyaide MJ12 metal mat. It sits inside the recess on a Technics platter.

There you go http://www.analogueseduction.net/turntable-mats/oymj12[1].html
    Regards Neil

I'm Mick.

Con

I have tried a few mats with different results. I find the glass gives a good sound reproduction. Instruments come across very clear compared to the rubber mats Ive used. I have found rubber mats gave a good tight bass but made the music more muddy if that makes sense. I have heard a lot about the standard platter supposedly ringing but with the 3mm glass mat(Very heavy) I find this is the perfect match. I have looked at the Oyaide mats but not cheap and not sure if I would gain anything over the costs.

Mat fits perfect

[IMG][/IMG]

With slip mat underneath.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Con.

Hi Mick very nice setup love the blue led. I have done the Dynomat modification which gave a nice improvement also got MN spindle with an ortofon 2m black ,there is still a few mods to be done all in due time. I read a lot of people don't like the rubber mat, to tell you the truth I think it's very OK. I am using the 3mm rubber mat and it sounds good, but just want that next step up if you now what I mean, that's why I want to try a glass mat to get even more improvements . Would you say it would be a good step up from the 3mm rubber mat? With kind regards Con

I'm Mick.

Con

The glass mat is 3mm so nice and solid. I have just tried both back to back a few times today and I prefer the glass mat. I always found the standard 3mm Technics mat good but after getting the glass one I find it better to my ears. The only issue I find is you are best using a weight on your records as the glass is slippy.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Con.

Hi Mick are you sure the glass mat is 3mm and not 6mm. If it is 6 mm thick I don't think you would need a weight on top of the mat because it is already quite heavy it might put a lot of strain on the motor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast