+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miyajima Shilabe - first impressions

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    i dunno but it is empirically proven that the headamps need a bigger input impedance than SUTs. i guess it has to do with a complexity of other parameteres that a transformer presents to a cartridge (like inductance...)..

a friend of mine with shilabe and pathos in the groove RIAA runs it with 250 ohm setting, fwiw
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

^ Is that Jez waiting for me to take the bait and respond to "it is empirically proven that the headamps need a bigger input impedance than SUTs"?
    Nah, I think I'll bow out at this point.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    ^ Is that Jez waiting for me to take the bait and respond to "it is empirically proven that the headamps need a bigger input impedance than SUTs"?
    Nah, I think I'll bow out at this point.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm gordan.

i absolutely don't pretend i'm right but given that (for a difference) i actually own the cartridge we are talking about and use it quite regularly (rotating with SPU spirit and k black on steroids) at least i can talk about empiricals. i tried enough of variations of loading to know a bit about how it sounds better. as i said before, there's nothing special about it in terms of requirements, any better SUT for 103R would do the job, and you can actually load it with even lesser impedance SUT than i wrote. did i say that it sounds terrific even into a 40 ohm input of my tango MCT-999?
    i tried many settings with pathos RIAA with MC headamp (J-FETs, battery, yadayada...) and lower impedances just don't work, you need to get a 150 ohm setting at least and more (250 ohm was optimal).
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Adrian.

To me it sounds very good running into 100ohm of the Vida (better than the 40ohm setting) - but if I'm going the SUT route I'd really love to load it to as close to perfect as possible. The problem is for every user with their own system and ears there's a different ideal loading. Are you saying the 250ohm is with a head amp? 250ohm is mentioned in the Miyajima site as ideal.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm gordan.

250 ohm headamp, SUT less.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12