+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blu Tack Alternatives

I'm Simon.

Sorbothane? Or is that stating the obvious... ?

Cheap, better than blu-tak and doesn't leave marks or stains (had my speakers on them for a good 3-4 years now and they stick really well with the weight on them but always come off with ease and leaving no marks.

I'm Shane.

You could try Sugru:

https://sugru.com/about
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Adam.

Squash balls cut in half...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    If you want something that sticks I use something better than blutak. Buy some lead flashing, or the type used to insulate car doors from vibrations (eBay) and put in fridge. Then peel off the black bitumen from the 'lead' foil. It's marvellous stuff and unlike blutak doesn't get tacky or messy unless very very warm.

In perpetual pursuit.
    Adrian I got some bitumen/lead type flashing in the end... not fitted it yet but will try to this evening

It's like this: http://www.bond-it.co.uk/product/flashing-tape/ which has adhesive on one side

Measures 100mm by 10 meters and was only £7 so I can double it up if needed for the right thickness between speakers and plinth..

Thanks for your recommendation
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Richard.

Hi, PM sent.

Essentially: (for others who may be interested)...

(Hi, I too have some LVs (Auditorium Ibx - R2s).

I have them on spikes onto 'marble' slabs. Unfortunately under them is a carpet and then a suspended wooden floor with a metre or so of space under them. I found it 'boomed ' unless I used the 'marble' slabs.

If you have a similar set-up and have any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I love my Lvs but wish I had known that they really needed 40 inches between them and the back-wall. I've stuffed car-wash sponge in the ports for 'normal' (i.e. wife-present) situations.

BW

Richard.)
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, PM sent.

Essentially: (for others who may be interested)...

(Hi, I too have some LVs (Auditorium Ibx - R2s).

I have them on spikes onto 'marble' slabs. Unfortunately under them is a carpet and then a suspended wooden floor with a metre or so of space under them. I found it 'boomed ' unless I used the 'marble' slabs.

If you have a similar set-up and have any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I love my Lvs but wish I had known that they really needed 40 inches between them and the back-wall. I've stuffed car-wash sponge in the ports for 'normal' (i.e. wife-present) situations.

BW

Richard.)
    PM replied

In essence...

Unfortunately the spikes I was using did not pierce the carpet very well even though they are pretty sharp so decided to go the plinth and isolation method. Under the carpet is a concret floor unlike your suspended wooden floor

Maybe you could try the plinth and isolation method, instead of using spikes, as it might work better than spikes onto your marble slabs then your suspended floor. My partner has a similar set up with his speakers, with a wooden suspended floor with about a metre space underneath, and he uses marble plinths with some isolation between the speakers and the plinths (no spikes) and has no problems although he is not using LV's, his speakers are Epos ES22's which are pretty bass heavy and they work beautifully like that

I have my LV's only about 35cm from the back wall and find them absolutely fine like that and I have nothing 'stuffed' in the ports
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    PM replied

In essence...

Unfortunately the spikes I was using did not pierce the carpet very well even though they are pretty sharp so decided to go the plinth and isolation method. Under the carpet is a concret floor unlike your suspended wooden floor

Maybe you could try the plinth and isolation method, instead of using spikes, as it might work better than spikes onto your marble slabs then your suspended floor. My partner has a similar set up with his speakers, with a wooden suspended floor with about a metre space underneath, and he uses marble plinths with some isolation between the speakers and the plinths (no spikes) and has no problems although he is not using LV's, his speakers are Epos ES22's which are pretty bass heavy and they work beautifully like that

I have my LV's only about 35cm from the back wall and find them absolutely fine like that and I have nothing 'stuffed' in the ports
    Ah! thanks; interesting; food for thought - I'll experiment. How again do you 'link' the bottom of the speaker to the 'marble' plinth?

BW

R (Sheffield).
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Ah! thanks; interesting; food for thought - I'll experiment. How again do you 'link' the bottom of the speaker to the 'marble' plinth?

BW

R (Sheffield).
    Richard I think my partner is using blu-tack between his speakers and his marble plinths

I will be using bitumen/lead flashing, which I just purchased, but have not got round to trying it yet but I am sure it will be better than the spikes I used

If the bitumen/lead flashing works ok on my LV's then I will give some to my partner to try out...

Watch this space, as they say....
    Bev

I'm Ken.

You could use Soundcare enclosed spikes, its a spike that caries its own cupped shoe around with it.
    They have a felt base and work well on a stone/concrete slab.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    You could use Soundcare enclosed spikes, its a spike that caries its own cupped shoe around with it.
    They have a felt base and work well on a stone/concrete slab.

Thanks Ken they look perfect for my needs but will try the bitumen on the plinths first and see how I get on

I've just done the first one and the speaker is lovely and solid on it now but just waiting for my back to recover to move the next plinth, boy they are heavy
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast