+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which turntable

I'm Richard.

Default Which turntable

WestCoastHiFi_Pro-Ject_Debut-Carbon_3.jpgWestCoastHiFi_Pro-Ject_Debut-Carbon_3.jpg[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]

If you were to pick one of these turntables which would it be?

Also do you prefer vintage or modern?
    Last edited by Richard10909; 21-01-2017 at 22:59.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

To my mind you can get a better vintage deck for your money especially if you're prepared to put a bit of time into it.

I love what they're doing cosmetically with those refurbished Thorens, although I haven't heard one so as to compare it with mine, and they're very pricey now - I recall that when they first appeared a couple of years back they were looking for about £500 whereas now they're over £1k. However building a TD150 from spare parts was more rewarding, a good learning exercise and a fraction of the cost.

Of the five decks that you've shown I'd go for the Rega if price and plug and play simplicity are what matters most (I haven't heard the Pro-Ject but sense that they're not dissimilar). They do a range of different finishes if you're that way inclined.

Having said all that I rescued a battered Townshend Rock for very little and after plenty of TLC I'm now evangelical about it.

Pete

I'm Bob.

Don't know but unless you have fingers like a spider's legs and an interest in gynaecology I'd avoid the LP12.

Just sayin'..............
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Tim.

these are all at different price points, but for me I think either the Rega or the LP12. If the Linn came properly set up I think you'd enjoy it. If it needed work doing to get it singing then you'd have to spend time or money to get it right. The Rega would just plug in and play.

there are other interesting turntables to consider it depends on your budget.

I'm Martin.

I'd have the Sondek over the Rega any day. I like the look of the Thorens, though. That would be my pick.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd have the Sondek over the Rega any day. I like the look of the Thorens, though. That would be my pick.
    Mine too. I loved my old TD150. It sounded beautiful with a Decca International arm and Decca London Blue on it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm terry.

Default turntable choice

I had a RD40 from new,still in use. I recently upgraded arm to Jelco 750d,and added a power supply/speed change.now in a different class.
    I also had a Gyro/ Helius combination, sold now.
    Not suggesting that better than Gryro,and almost certainly the Gyro would support future cartridge upgrades,(which i could never afford anyway)
    All a matter of choice, but the RD40 was only let down by the original arm.
    Not heard any of others except the Linn

I'm Paul.

If I could afford one I would get the LP12 but at about £15 Grand for the only one worth buying I suspect there are much better options that might cost less or even a lot less. Not that i can come close to that sort of cost

The Thorens is quite a bit overpriced for what you actually get compered to buying one and doing it up yourself. TD-160's in very good original condition can be picked up for under £200 and often sound good enough for most people, and with many upgrades and tweaks available, although the upgrade path offers only small often un-detectable improvements, often only heard buy the money spender.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Richard.

Default Response

The lp12 was £650 but I think a decent one would be considerably more expensive. I like the Thorens too and agree it would be more fun and probably cheaper to diy an old one. I did see one second hand for £550 and yes they are normally selling at 1k. The Ariston was priced at £600 and the project debut carbon with ortofon red only £240 new.

I'm terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10909 View Post
    The lp12 was £650 but I think a decent one would be considerably more expensive. I like the Thorens too and agree it would be more fun and probably cheaper to diy an old one. I did see one second hand for £550 and yes they are normally selling at 1k. The Ariston was priced at £600 and the project debut carbon with ortofon red only £240 new.
    Expensive for the Ariston until you look at the arm it comes with, Is it not an SME, which would double the price of the turntable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast