+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kef 105/3 Reference Speakers - Bass Distortion

I'm Lawrence.

Were these recently purchased and is a refund/ebay claim a possibility. I have seen a pair for sale in south london for.over a year when I called the first time the lady I spoke to had no idea about the internal speaker issues, then a few months later they reappeared having been spparently sorted. They were also on eBay I think.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Lawrence, yes these were from a lady in South London (Croydon in Fact). Originally advertised on eBay but foolishly purchased by myself direct. She insisted that these had been fully refurbished.
    We live and learn...... a fool and his money are easily parted.
    However, not disappointed, as I got these at a reasonable price, even with the impending headache to come. Perhaps too trustworthy. With Paul's help, I will get these fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Hmm I always had my suspicions about this seller. I was finally proved right when I saw a valve amp for sale and when she called me (she always calls as soon as she gets a text) she said she knew nothing about hifi and it belonged to her late father and she was selling off his belongings. As I had seen her selling gear for several years I was disgusted she would use such a story to try and flog it.

I'm Peter.

Well, what goes around comes around.

A warning to all you impending DIY Re-Foamers. Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!!

It transpires that the bass distortion was caused by extremely poor re-foaming / donuts. Initially, found by Paul (Reffec) who has been just sooooooo helpful and removed the bass units for me.

The Voice coil gap was completely seized with foam / adhesive and never cleaned out by the total twerp who carried out this work.

To say say this work had been carried out by a five year old, is complementary. The cones were completely distorted, both at the outer foam and the donut connection. How they worked initially is beyond me.

So, until I get more information...... take care in what you do !!!!

Clean / Re-Clean and then Clean again to make sure the voice coil cap is totally symmetrical and no pressure is imposed to the cone by the re-foaming exercise.

Hear Endth the sermon for now, or at last until I get the speaker back from the professionals.

I will try to get some photos in the next weeks.

I'm Lawrence.

I have a feeling the lady in question purchased my kefs last night. She phoned off the back of my gumtree advert and said she was helping her son buy some speakers but he didn't have much money. When she arrived with her husband the gave them a good inspection and wanted to buy my other gear. After she left I found I had also received an ebay message the same time as she had called from a lady who, lo and behold, had a pair of Kef 105s in her listing history.

I'm Lawrence.

We'll soon find out as within a week she will list them for substantially more than the £275 she paid.

I'm Peter.

Lawrence, very interesting.... hopefully we will see.!!!

I think 'this particular lady is a bit of a advertising aficionados,,,,, or word that our leader wouldn't let me use.

Let me hoe it goes !!!

I'm Peter.

Now sorted. Thanks to all for your valued advice and recommendations.

These truly are stunning speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234