+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beware! Seagate Personal Cloud NAS

I'm Marc.

A light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm not holding my breath, but following a very straightforward message from me pointing out that they'd continued to ignore the issue at hand (choosing instead to quibble my supplied info or to sidetrack to irrelevant issues) and that (un-rectified) the issue could constitute a breach of the Computer Misuse Act (1990), Seagate have finally deigned that my issue is of a severity that warrants passing on to their developers (quite what they did with the log dump and additional they already requested from me remains a mystery) who will now try and work out what's going on and if they think that it might be worth fixing.

They've also offered to provide me with a 1TB usb drive 'for my efforts' which is a nice gesture but not one that will prevent me continuing to complain if they don't fix the unauthorised network access issue on the personal cloud.

So two months and a fair bit of battling in I've finally arrived at a basic standard of customer support, hopefully their new positive approach will follow through and deliver the goods.

I'm Chris.

Marc,

I admire your persistence. Naively, I might have thought a cloud appliance would have a mechanism to poll/contact various providers, but once configured ought not to be doing what you have found to be the case. Their GPL code is available here: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...ode-master-dl/

But it only shows what they have used, not how. It includes what you might expect for embedded linux on an Arm device: uboot, busybox. etc. If only you get to a shell you'd soon now what was running.

I wonder if you had considered this https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDe.../PersonalCloud The page seems to be up to date.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post

I wonder if you had considered this https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDe.../PersonalCloud The page seems to be up to date.
    Chris, that's amazing, I'd not come across it so many thanks for pointing it out. As I mentioned earlier I'm a huge fan of debian so this delights me massively! (and I'm glad you waited to point it out as I may have given up with seagate, the free drive is nice but I'm more interested now in getting the device fixed as I suspect I'm not the only one clogging up the pipes with unauthorised DNS requests)

I have the prospect of a quiet weekend at the in-laws coming up so I may well seize the opportunity experiment with putting a proper os on this box.

I'm Chris.

Marc,

Seeing as Seagate have appeared to have made use of debootstrap, and there is now a decent armhf debian port, it could be a successful combo. Good luck with that.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Question Seagate PSU voltage?

Quick question for any Seagate users... My unit is out just now being filled with some more music, so I can't check, and just wanted to know what input voltage the power supply is.

From memory, I think it's 12V and 100 - 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz. Could someone please confirm?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Marc.

12v 2amp at the business end Marco. It's a smps so it takes input from somewhere between a candle to infinite improbability (but probably works best between 100 - 240vAC..)

In related news it turns out 'Customer Service' weren't going to escalate my issue to tech support, all they've done is give me the email for the developers / technical line and instructed me to start again with them. No response yet.

Once I've worked out how to back-up the Seagate OS I'll be flashing it with Debian and installing Open Media Vault I think, although I'll wait long enough to give them a chance to fix it before doing so (in the hope that the fix will go out to other users). Initial experimentation has shown that I can log on to u-boot console using the 'clunc' app from Lacie (as per the link provided by Chris above).

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    12v 2amp at the business end Marco. It's a smps so it takes input from somewhere between a candle to infinite improbability (but probably works best between 100 - 240vAC..)
    Cheers, mate - much appreciated

In related news it turns out 'Customer Service' weren't going to escalate my issue to tech support, all they've done is give me the email for the developers / technical line and instructed me to start again with them. No response yet.

Once I've worked out how to back-up the Seagate OS I'll be flashing it with Debian and installing Open Media Vault I think, although I'll wait long enough to give them a chance to fix it before doing so (in the hope that the fix will go out to other users). Initial experimentation has shown that I can log on to u-boot console using the 'clunc' app from Lacie (as per the link provided by Chris above).
    Hope you get your issues sorted out ASAP.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123