+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Player/DAC Combo

I'm John.

Default CD Player/DAC Combo

Anyone know of a cd player with on board DAC that takes a USB input and plays High Res files? I'll be needing to replace my cdp soon and also thinking of upgrading my Arcam rDAC for something that plays 24/192 res files. Can I get an all in one unit?
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Grant.

Oppo i guess is best bet.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Thanks Grant. Just had a look at the Oppo BDP105D on line. It's bit over my price range, and it looks like a 3D Blue Ray player with cd attached, so it might be wasted purely as an hi fi separate. Also I read somewhere that the cd quality was similar to the Marantz CD6006. For a grand I'd expect a notch or two up from that. The Marantz apparently has the capability of playing hi res files through a USB stick, so maybe that's the route to go.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm Neil.

Personally I'd get a DAC with 2x digital (SPDIF) inputs (or 1x SPDIF & 1x USB input), a cheap but good CD transport, and hook up your computer via the other socket (perhaps you'd need a USB to SPDIF converter too). This solution is much more future proof & means that the pain of CD transports breaking down is less severe. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Anyone know of a cd player with on board DAC that takes a USB input and plays High Res files? I'll be needing to replace my cdp soon and also thinking of upgrading my Arcam rDAC for something that plays 24/192 res files. Can I get an all in one unit?

The only one that I know, and ticks most of your boxes is Audiolab CD 8200

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=8
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm John.

My rDAC has an optical, a coaxial and a USB input, but only plays 24/96 res files. I could get the irDAC, which plays 24/192, but need another cdp for the 2nd system and I'd like a cdp that plays SACDs. I've looked at the the Marantz SA8005, which ticks all my boxes, and gets good reviews. Richard' s suggestion of the Audiolab 8200 looks like the right sort of thing too. I'll have a look at that, but does it play SA8005?

I'm Ken.

USB isn't the best way of sending high res files, maybe you should consider that part of the equation.

SPDIF output over optical/coax or i2S over BNC or AES options?

Have a read of some of the latest developments before you dive in and spend your hard earned.

Even the humble Raspberry Pie caters for some of these better quality outputs.

Google Hifiberry digi+Pro and see some of the topics discussed, (I'm considering this route).
    This is the digi+Pro spdif output board for the RPi 3B that also has i2S BNC capability: https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/board...erry-digi-pro/

I'm Con.

Hi John check out the AUSTRALIAN GEISELER KLEIN DACS I think one of them would be suitable for your needs .OH did I mention that they are GIANT KILLERS .

I'm John.

I hadn't heard of the connection types you mention Ken so looked them up. Articles on AES and BNC don't mention playing music files, and playing music files on the Raspberry Pi is not included in an article listing 20 things you can do with the Pi, so no the wiser there either. An article on the iPS looked promising, but very technical. Do you know if any of these alternatives for linking a PC to a DAC available as hi fi equipment?

I'm John.

Thanks Con All comments on the Gieseler K are positive. Can't find a supplier in UK though, but will contact company in Aus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast