+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for input: Oyaide MJ-12 vs Isoplatmat + Achromat

I'm Eric.

Default Looking for input: Oyaide MJ-12 vs Isoplatmat + Achromat

I have an SL-1200 with an AT150MLX cartridge that is in stock condition except for an outboard power supply and am interested in getting a mat. The two contenders that I am considering are an Oyaide MJ-12 or an Isoplatmat + Achromat combination. Either way, I will get a weight to use with it.

I've read Marco's write up on both, but am having trouble deciding. Any opinions or input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by EricS; 02-10-2015 at 02:20.

I'm Neil.

To get the full potential of the Oyaide you need to use the BR One rubber undermat and use the matching weight, if you don't or haven't then you haven't heard the mat right.

Personally I think this works very well with the 1200/1210, its a viable alternative to a new platter but doesn't quiet address the issues with the original platter, but its cheaper.

In saying the above this works better with some arm/cart/PSU configurations better than others.

The Oyaide is a fairly neutral addition, cooler without the undermat, the Funk mat adds slight tonal richness and slight warmth, which helps to reduce the greyness in the platter alone. These tonal characteristics work better in some settings than others.

Regards Neil

I'm Andy.

l have had both mats in the past on my Techie the Achromat sounded very nice, filling out the soundstage and adding warmth and weight to the soundstage, l moved on to the Oyaide MJ-12/ BR 1/ Oyaide weight and the latter was a lot better ( as it should be taking the cost into consideration), improving sound in all departments, and also it looks COOL!

l still have all the Oyaide pieces which reside on my Techie. ( Which gets busted out now and again.)
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Eric.

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate the perspectives and have an Oyaide set on the way to my turntable now.

Eric

I'm Andrew.

I've tried the following mats on my 1210 :-

Standard 1210 rubber jobby.
    Cork
    Sorbothane
    EVA
    Felt
    Garrard 301
    Resomat
    Achromat 1210 version (5mm)

The one I picked was the Analouge Studio Crystal Mat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-S...item43dabf7c63

Considerably cheaper than the Nagaoka version. I avoided the Oyaide because of the cost and bling factor. The Crystal mat just seemed to eek out more detail from them vinyl grooves than any other mat I tried.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Richard.

How does the overhang look on the 1210 - as the matt is a bit wider isn't it?

I'm Spencer.

Anyone know why Oyaide discontinued the MJ-12? Seems like lots of praise online about it. I've been tempted to give one a try with my SP10mkII.
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    I have an SL-1200 with an AT150MLX cartridge that is in stock condition except for an outboard power supply and am interested in getting a mat. The two contenders that I am considering are an Oyaide MJ-12 or an Isoplatmat + Achromat combination. Either way, I will get a weight to use with it.

I've read Marco's write up on both, but am having trouble deciding. Any opinions or input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Didn't you buy my MJ-12?

Andrew

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread