+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centre speaker technical advice

I'm Richard.

Default Centre speaker technical advice

Hi A/V er's
    I have an Audica AS-LCR centre speaker with seperate inputs for left right & centre drivers.
    I have an Arcam Solo movies 5.1 amp.

I want to use my existing stereo speakers for left & right duties. Then use the Audica purely for centre duty but use all the drivers.

Would it be possible to connect the Arcams centre outputs to all 3 of the Audicas drivers via jumper cables on the back of the speaker without causing damage to the amp?

The arcam produces 50W into 8 Ohms or 75w into 4 Ohms.

Unfortunately I can't find any specs on the Audica apart from its sensitivity is 87dB and has a power handling of 60 to 100 Watts. There are 6 x 50mm low frequency drivers and 3 x 10mm tweeters.

I'm sure there's not enough technical info on the Audica for a definitive answer but any advice would be welcome before I do something stupid. Cheers

I'm James.

Any chance of a picture of the rear panel showing the connections?

I would recommend not connecting up in Parallel (all +ve's together and all -ve's together) as this will present too low an Impedance to the Amplifier.
    To do this safely I would recommend connecting them all in series (+ve of the Amp to the 'first +ve of the Speaker, the -ve of that pair of connections to the +ve of the next pair, the -ve of that pair to the +ve of the next pair and so on........)

My only concern with the above is if there are separate connections for Bass drivers and HF drivers then the above may not work either.

Picture please

I'm Gary.

The speaker is a sound bar, not a centre speaker, and has multiple drivers within.

If you have the facility to bi amp your front speakers then this may be the way to go, beware of impedance tho.

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the input guys, here's a couple of snaps
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm James.

That's a small picture but are they 4mm Banana Sockets?

I think connecting your Amps Centre Output +ve to the LH+ socket, then the LH - socket to the Cen +, the Cen - socket to the Rh + socket and then the Rh - socket to the Amps -ve connection you would be 'Daisy Chaining' the Speakers which should not put any undue stress on the Amp.

To be brutally honest though I would look into buying a proper Centre Speaker as this one doesn't look of the greatest quality.

Jim.

I'm Richard.

They're binding posts James. Thanks for the wiring suggestion.
    The Audica may not be the last word in centres but I only had a slim space (110mm) underneath my tv and I didn't want a traditional Soundbar as I wanted to use my existing l/r speakers. It's very well made with aluminium casing & actually got a couple of decent reviews!

Mind you I ain't tried it yet

I'm Mike.

My advice for what it's worth is sell it and get a proper centre speaker, you're just guessing as to the spec of the speaker, plus you have no idea what electronics or crossovers are in it.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Richard.

No I don't JH, but could you recommend one that will fit in the space for a start?

By the way folks, Apparently each section (3 No.) offers 4ohms resistance

I'm Mike.

Give me some measurements

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Give me some measurements
    950mm wide x 125mm high, depth to back of rack ...500mm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast