+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Rules of Hi-Fi?

I'm Geoff.

Default Golden Rules of Hi-Fi?

Are there basic Golden Rules when it comes to Hi-Fi?

Here are a few thoughts.

If you can't think of any item you need, but have a bit of cash. Don't go looking, 'cos sure enough that 'essential thing' that you didn't even know you needed will be out there!

Never take family or friends along when buying equipment, they'll know less about it than you and lead you astray!

Valves are no better than solid state............True, but they tend to have a different character.

Passive pre-amps are great............Well not always, but they are usually a cheaper option.

NO FUZZY ENDED SPEAKER CABLES!!...........Unless of course you intend to blow your amplifier up. I've seen no end of other folks systems with frayed cable ends just looking for a chance for that 'sticky out' bit of wire to short out.

Turntables. Idler is best? Direct Drive is best? Belt drive is best? Well no basically. There are good and bad of each type.

Yes, you can buld a decent speaker of your own without a computer. Despite the insistence on computer modelling by the 'Tech Bods' these days. The main condition being, the more info you have, the better. Remember, many of the favourite classic speakers were designed long before PCs came along.

No dusting near the turntable......EVER!! This is frequently fatal to expensive styli.

I guess that with a bit more time I could make this list a lot longer. Anybody got more ideas?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

To listen, you need to turn it on first. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Dont go messing about inside equipment. There are deadly voltages in there, and you at very least may screw the unit up, unless you know what youre doing.

Also make sure equipment is properly fused and earthed if both are necessary. If in doubt find out
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

If you have cats. Protect your speaker grilles!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ifvyou have a wife, pay here off with shoe money
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

If you dont know where you want to go with it or how far, you may well end up unfullfilled, going round in circles, for a very long time AND very skint ! - seriously !

I'm Nodrog.

Stop playing with the toys and start listening to the sodding music

I'm Justin.

1) Spend enormous amounts of money never really getting there. Ever.

2) Keep swapping bits of kit in and out achieving 1) above.

I'm Rob.

Trust your ears
    Rob.