+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: kOhm ratings on Volume Pots

I'm Jez.

A cheap partial get round would be log faking resistors..... check it out here http://sound.whsites.net/project01.htm
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I was going to suggest that, but couldn't find the link. Well done.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    A cheap partial get round would be log faking resistors..... check it out here http://sound.whsites.net/project01.htm
    Hmm ... that's quite tempting. It appeals to the "Mr Fixit" side of my nature. My only reservation is that in the write up it says that this workaround is good provided the gain structure of the pre-amp is suitable. I'm interpreting this as meaning that if you have too much gain, you will be running with your volume knob down at the bottom end of its travel where the behaviour of the pot is still more or less linear. By the time you get up to the recommended 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position when it starts to simulate log behaviour, it's already too loud. I can see that being the outcome. Of course, I could then solder in a few resistors to attenuate the incoming signals before they reach the pot. But by this stage I might as well buy an Alps Blue and have done with it ... ! But thanks for the suggestion anyway, Jez.
    IB
    Last edited by Infinitely Baffled; 20-01-2017 at 01:31.

I'm Alan.

For the sake of two resistors I'd say try it. Have you got suitable resistors?

I can pop a couple of 6K8 resistors in the post if you haven't.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

Ah! Just beat me to it! I was going to suggest much lower... 2k2 say.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

You're a diamond geezer, Alan! Many thanks. I'll PM you my address.
    Cheers
    Gary

I'm Gary.

Ah! Just beat me to it! I was going to suggest much lower... 2k2 say.
    The Hi-Fi Community working like a well-oiled machine! Thanks for that, Jez. I took up Alan on his offer, and I'll report back on the forum with what I find. Do you suggest I dip them in anything in particular before installation? Cheers. Gary.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    The Hi-Fi Community working like a well-oiled machine! Thanks for that, Jez. I took up Alan on his offer, and I'll report back on the forum with what I find. Do you suggest I dip them in anything in particular before installation? Cheers. Gary.
    I'll be selling audio grade carrot juice for only £300 a litre shortly... free magic beans with order for first 10 customers

I'm Neil.

If your source can handle it, check out some innovative work in this area: https://www.audialonline.com/topics/...olume-control/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

I'll be selling audio grade carrot juice for only £300 a litre shortly... free magic beans with order for first 10 customers
    Does it come with a free fuse?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast